Criticize my LN order

Immortan D

Based on the suggestions, here's my new list:

1. Medium Shoulder Plane
  2. No. 3 Bench Plane
  3. Low Angle Jack Plane Set --  Honestly, I want the set beyond all reason
  4. Large Router Plane

post-17356-0-11432400-1437484938_thumb.p

I'm going to order mortising chisels at a later time. Size will be determined according to the specific needs of each project.

I've got everything on that list --- use it all...

Although, the Large shoulder plane is more useful for 'full sized' pieces... Since your buidling smaller items, then the Medium maybe a better fit... The #3 is a great smoother on smaller items... 45d or 50d frog?

• Like 1

Although, the Large shoulder plane is more useful for 'full sized' pieces... Since your buidling smaller items, then the Medium maybe a better fit... The #3 is a great smoother on smaller items... 45d or 50d frog?

Yep, Medium shoulder plane is on my list.

45d standard angle but open for suggestions.

Can you elaborate? The medium feels quite large in my large hands. What makes the bigger better for large projects? Longer reference sole?

Once you get to pieces larger than occasional tables, the joinery gets larger rather quickly... Larger joinery benefits from taking bigger pass/cut. A bigger cut benefits from a larger reference surface, wider iron and the increased mass of a larger body...

==>45d standard angle but open for suggestions.

I've got one #3 at 45 and one #3 at 50 (at some point, I just got tired of swapping frogs, so started getting duplicates)...

With straight-grained stock, I use 45d. With figured stock, I use the 50d. Since you really want the LAJ, I’d get the 45d unless you mostly work with figured stock...

• Like 1

Don't care what LN says, not the right tool for the job...

For larger panels, you need more mass.

For small panels, you need more control -- most of the competition adds a depth stop. T-LN has been talking about a depth stop for years, but it's a low priority...

Avoid for this application until they add the depth stop. Same for rebates... There are just too many better tools out there...

I'm getting ready to order some items from LN.

Intended use of the new tools: Mortises & Tenons, Rabbets, Dados, Smoothing, Jointing.

Current related tools I have: Stanley #4, Stanley #5C, Stanley LA Block Plane, Several card scrappers, Flat and Curved spokeshaves. I don't have any mortising chisels.

I'm basing my selection on what I think I need and what I read in the previous threads.

The List:

1. Rabbet Block Plane w/Nicker (will it completely replace a shoulder plane?)
  2. Low Angle Jack Plane Set (not quite sure if I need the set or just the plane --  the reason for the set is the extra blades)
  3. Large Router Plane
  4. Mortise Chisel (1/2)
  5. Mortise Chisel (1/4)
  6. Hot Dog for the Low Angle Jack Plane (for a shooting board)

attachicon.gifLN.PNG

What's to criticize :)!

I agree on using smaller mortice chisels (always 1/3 of the with of your wood; so, if your working 1 1/2" wood, do keep the 1/2).

I have the LV router and a Stanley 71 (blades are interchangeable) and love them both. LN should be excellent, too.

I shoot with what ever's handy (and sharp!) but I do have a LN LAJ: it's not as NECESSARY as I had thought but still I'm very glad to have it. My old #5 and #6 shoots just as well.

You NEED both the shoulder and a skew rabbet plane. I like both LN and LV (have one of each) but prefer the LN skew rabbet. I just get better results. 

I bought a vintage Stanley scrub plane for a fair to good price. It works flawlessly and is always used when shaping rough lumber (but rarely used otherwise).

And, though you could go for a cheaper chisel, buy right by buying once! There's a reason why the better chisels cost significantly more; IMO you are getting what you pay for!

Some of these options (and opinions) are merely preference: but you asked...

Have fun!

==>Some of these options (and opinions) are merely preference: but you asked...

Get that, but let's qualify some of the recomendations...

==>do keep the 1/2
I've had a ½” mortice chisel for about a decade and can count on one hand the number of times it's been used... Two dining tables and one bed... It’s a tool for large projects -- and the OP says he works on small ones...

==>You NEED both the shoulder and a skew rabbet plane
Agree the shoulder... but the skew rebate is another specialty tool... And the LN, while well made, is not that useful until the promised depth stop is added...