Piano Hinges

Eric.

The search continues.  I ordered the .060 stainless hinges from McMaster Carr and they arrived non-brushed and non-countersunk.  So they're going back.  If anyone is desperately bored today and knows where I can find BRUSHED (not polished) brass piano hinges, .060 thick, appx 1 1/2 inch open width, with countersunk holes, let me know. :)

I can't be the only person in the world who desires high quality brass piano hinges.

• Like 1

No.  First of all I don't have a countersink that would work without marring the knuckles.  Secondly, how exactly would you suggest I brush the metal?  If you plan to say "sandpaper," don't bother.  Not only would that would look hideous, it would take forever.  It's not just a flat piece of metal...

Well after I contacted MC, they refunded my money but said not to return the hinge.  I'm sure it would cost them more for return shipping than it's worth.  So it's mine whether I want it or not.  Maybe I'll give steel wool a shot...I'm pretty desperate at this point.  I'll still need to find a way to countersink the holes without boogering up the knuckles...which is what happened when I took a test run.

I've contacted a machinist I found through ebay who can make custom hinges.  He's gonna get me a quote...we'll see.  I don't know if I can spend $200 on hinges but I might have to.

I made a dash for an old Jeep out of stainless and used steel wool around a dowel in my drill press to make swirls in the stainless. It took some time but looked pretty good when done.You can make a uniform or random pattern depending on your preference. Chuck the dowel in your drill press wrap steel wool around the end of it and press onto the steel.

No, I don't sharpen drill bits...I replace them.

I ordered a couple smaller countersinks from Lee Valley, so in a few weeks when they finally arrive I should be good.

Steve, just curious...why not steel wool on stainless steel?  I tried it on a small area...made it nice and clean looking but didn't do much for the "brushed" look.  I'm at the point that I pretty much don't care anymore.  I've all but given up.

Abrasions and steel particles imbedded in the scratches will rust/tarnish. Same issue w Waterbourne finishes. If you use stainless screws drive a steel screw first then replace w a stainless screw. Stainless screws are easy to strip the head or snap it off.

Abrasions and steel particles imbedded in the scratches will rust/tarnish. Same issue w Waterbourne finishes. If you use stainless screws drive a steel screw first then replace w a stainless screw. Stainless screws are easy to strip the head or snap it off.

Okay, noted.  I guess I just assumed stainless meant stainless...but I don't know much about metals so my assumptions are only that.  I have some stainless steel dowel rod in a magazine rack I built for the bathroom.  I used sandpaper and a drill to "brush" the shine off before I installed them.  If there's anywhere they should rust, it's in the bathroom...but they're still fine after several years.  What's the point of calling something stainless if it still rusts?  I don't get it.

Eric, have you considered an abrasive flap wheel?

I haven't.  Honestly I'm not that worried about it at this point.  As long as the metal isn't shiny, I don't really care.  The stainless hinges I got from MC came unfinished...I thought they would be brushed.  But they're still dull so I guess it's fine.  I don't care now.  I'm sick of it.

• 2 weeks later...

The stainless doesn't rust, but the residue from non-stainless steel wool will certainly rust. Looks terrible.

Thanks Rich...I'm not gonna bother though.  I'll just assume because I didn't get any quick responses and I couldn't find any with a thorough interwebs search that they don't exist anymore if they ever did.  I'm sure a good machinist could do it but I don't have the time - or THAT much interest - to have them custom made.

I've already hacked my hinges down to length so no going back now.  Whatever.  Life ain't perfect.

Honestly the thing that bothers me most about these is that the holes aren't counter-bored.  I mean what's the deal with that?  Stupid.

Maybe that metal is so flimsy that won't take a countersink.

This ones look good, countersunk, solid brass or nickel.

Hi guys.. I can put my five sent hear..if you use normal steelwool or wire brushes on polishing steel the surface will... oxidise. Talking from experience in ss industry. Scotchbrite is your best bet..You even get grit grades these days from Mirka. They also have super sanding pads for wood from P80 - P220 grit non clogging paper.Happy sanding..:) Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk