Simple Desk

..Kev

That's the stuff which makes memories Kev, no question about it.

As a kid I followed my uncle around a lot while he did maintenance on his rental properties. I can't even say that I was a good go-fer, but I think of that "apprenticeship" as being the block of experiences which made me a woodworker. I saw how he was organized and got things done, how he improvised and finagled, and it wasn't long before I was making construction lumber + plywood ramps for my friends and I to launch our pre-BMX bikes (you know...those bikes with the "banana" seat, sissy bar, and funky handlebars).

• Like 2

Hey Kev - are the legs of that desk slightly splayed, or am I just imagining it?  Couldn't see it while in the clamps, but in the pics of your boy applying finish, the legs appear to have an angle.

There's a slight taper on the front legs.  So, a bit of an illusion.

• Like 1

That's the stuff which makes memories Kev, no question about it.

As a kid I followed my uncle around a lot while he did maintenance on his rental properties. I can't even say that I was a good go-fer, but I think of that "apprenticeship" as being the block of experiences which made me a woodworker. I saw how he was organized and got things done, how he improvised and finagled, and it wasn't long before I was making construction lumber + plywood ramps for my friends and I to launch our pre-BMX bikes (you know...those bikes with the "banana" seat, sissy bar, and funky handlebars).

Dave, on 10-9-87, I finished my son's bike ramp. I wanted to make sure it was safe for him, so he handed me the reigns. I woke up that evening in a hospital bed with everyone standing over me. The ramp had slipped on the drive and I upended, with my back hitting the pedal and rupturing my spleen, and my head on the concrete resulting in a concussion.

Sorry OP, but I had to unload that ;)

• Like 2

Dave, on 10-9-87, I finished my son's bike ramp. I wanted to make sure it was safe for him, so he handed me the reigns. I woke up that evening in a hospital bed with everyone standing over me. The ramp had slipped on the drive and I upended, with my back hitting the pedal and rupturing my spleen, and my head on the concrete resulting in a concussion.

Sorry OP, but I had to unload that ;)

Yeah...I knocked myself senseless jumping on my ramps too. Didn't end up in a hospital bed, but might have lost consciousness for a few seconds there, and WOW did my tailbone hurt!

Who needs a spleen anyway Coop? I mean...what does a spleen even do really?  If you can't answer without googling, then my point is made...;)

• Like 1

A neighbor cut down an elm tree several months ago and I scavenged some 12" or so limbs in hopes of using it for boxes. I let it set on the drive, in the weather and last weekend, being bored, I ran it thru the bs. Neatest looking spalted I've seen. I have it stickered and drying now. It was about 1/3 the weight when I got it, so assuming the transformation took place in my drive?