Router speeds

Chet

The router motor that I purchased to go with my router table is the Porter Cable 7518 and has multiple speeds. 10,000, 13,000, 16,000, 19,000 and 21,000 rpm.  My other PC router only has two speeds, On and Off, so the multi speed thing is new to me.  What is the determining factor when selecting the speed?

There are quite a few variables to consider with rotation speeds. Like Kev said, bit size and type, species of wood, how fast you move the router during the cut, etc.  But the thing to keep in mind is that the worst thing you can do is let the bit get too hot. Heat dulls bits much faster than abrasion. The heat from the cut is carried away by the chips being cut. If the chips stay in the cut and are cut again and again, they can't carry the heat away. The SIZE of the chip is very important - the bigger the chip, the more heat it can carry away. If you move the router (or the wood over the router) at a constant rate, say 20 inches per minute, the higher the rotation speed the smaller the chips - thus more heat.

Thanks for the Information guys.  hhh Lots of good information as always.  Your post are always worth the read if you want the in-depth version.

I have that same chart pinned to the wall next next to my router table. It's a great reference to have handy. It's drawn to scale so you can just hold a bit up next to it. 

I was thinking I wanted to do the something when I saw the chart on he's post.

When I bought a big panel raising bit from whiteside, I peeled the sticker off of the package and stuck it to the face of the router bit drawer. Quick easy reference. 

I have been thinking of coming up with something along those lines.  I am building a cabinet for the router table now and I am trying to decide how I want to do storage and reference of the bits.

Edited by Chet K.