Mandola Build

John Page

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Terry!

It's been a lot of change around these parts lately, but I finally managed to get some work done on this thing. It is (still) playable and I am so close to being done. At the moment, it's not looking like I will be able to respectably play it for a recording, so I've been talking with some friends who have more talent than I. 

In this post, I did the perfling and made the bridge. Made from some old ebony piano keys, I think the bridge is my favourite part of this whole thing. There's something mystically alluring to me about incorporating the past lives of materials into an entirely new (but not necessarily unrelated) life.

Journal Part XII

Cheers!

John

25 shaped and dimensioned.jpg

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I've posted anything on this but I promise it's not been forgotten! I did not realise when I ordered the inlay for the fret markers that it's on backorder and might not be here until August :wacko:

Until then, it gives me the chance to find and convince someone to let me record them playing it, so I guess there's a silver lining in there somewhere. While I'm waiting for some things to arrive, I decided to put up the last set of pictures I have of the progress thus far. Here, it's putting on the finish, strings, and hardware. 

Part XIII

Cheers!

John

11 screws.jpg

15.jpg

19.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I'm actually a little surprised by how clean and warm it sounds. Although I have never played the guitar before and therefore have little to compare it to, I'd say that it has a slightly less full bodied sound (probably because of the slightly thinner side height compared to other acoustic guitars) but picks up a bit of a Spanish or Celtic feel in the process. Once I am proficient enough to record a few simple things, I'll be putting together a video of what it sounds like!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, John Page said:

I'm actually a little surprised by how clean and warm it sounds. Although I have never played the guitar before and therefore have little to compare it to, I'd say that it has a slightly less full bodied sound (probably because of the slightly thinner side height compared to other acoustic guitars) but picks up a bit of a Spanish or Celtic feel in the process. Once I am proficient enough to record a few simple things, I'll be putting together a video of what it sounds like!

The body shape gives the warmth. I welcome an audio sample. 

Thanks all! It is more or less guitar sized. The fretboard and string length are matched to acoustic guitars, and the body is roughly proportional to that. I'm not too sure what the body dimensions for an acoustic guitar are, but given how the tailpiece fits in and the residual string length past the bridge, I'd say its probably close.

Cheers!