Shop update

Jim DaddyO

2 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

Naaaa...if this thread is spoiled beyond recovery, a mod should just delete the bickering.  Jim shouldn't have to make a new thread.

I kinda, sorta, full heartedly agree. Go back to the start of this thread. It is his! It just got hijacked a tad;)

• Like 1

On 10/23/2016 at 4:17 PM, Jfitz said:

shrug - add me to the disagree camp on this one.  Sure, I'm floored with the "expert" posts pics and projects here....but I also really enjoy the posts pics and projects from people, like me, who are still finding their way on this journey.

I know I'm not operating at the level of the pros here, and I'm ok with that. So far no one has asked me to leave... I'll keep asking my questions and chiming in when I can.

To continue on one of the tangents..

As for Red Oak, one thing that may get lost at times is that woods like Red Oak are super widely available, reasonably priced and maybe most important, able to be worked with lesser tools. The price is relevant, because as a beginner I'm sure I do have more waste and mistakes, so it makes sense to do some learning on things that don't break the bank. 

And for working it, specifically, try running some super hard exotic through a lower HP table saw, at some point it can be dangerous. I did a little floating shelf thing with some purple heart my wife picked out, it was fun, but it didn't take long to figure out I really didn't have the tools to properly work with a material that hard. Someday I will, but for now, I'll stick to things with Janka hardness around 1,400 or prefereably less, which still leaves me plenty of nice options.

4 hours ago, Immortan D said:

Jim, are you still using the stock blade on your Bosch Glide? I'm asking this because I am, but I started to notice some burns on my miters. It maybe related to the wood I'm using, not my usual species, or the blade, hopefully not to the saw.

I doubt it is the saw.  I am still using the original blade.  I have heard on other forums that folks are having good success with a higher tooth count blade with both the cut and an improvement in the dust going up the chute (a Dimar branded blade in this specific case).  A 12" blade will deflect more also, so I don't push mine very hard.  I confess to being biased toward Freud blades due to good experience with them, and they are not so pricey.  Make sure you get a negative or 0 hook angle on the one you choose.  I aim to try the 12" thin kerf ultimate cut off blade when I do change.

http://www.freudtools.com/index.php/products/product/LU74R012

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jim DaddyO said:

I doubt it is the saw.  I am still using the original blade.  I have heard on other forums that folks are having good success with a higher tooth count blade with both the cut and an improvement in the dust going up the chute (a Dimar branded blade in this specific case).  A 12" blade will deflect more also, so I don't push mine very hard.  I confess to being biased toward Freud blades due to good experience with them, and they are not so pricey.  Make sure you get a negative or 0 hook angle on the one you choose.  I aim to try the 12" thin kerf ultimate cut off blade when I do change.

http://www.freudtools.com/index.php/products/product/LU74R012

Thanks. It maybe related to the way I push the saw with my left hand. I will pay attention to that the next time I cut miters. If the problem persists, I will get that Freud blade. Thanks again.