Shop update

Jim DaddyO

Sorry, I know nothing about Tapatalk.  I don't even own a cell phone.  Same goes for Instagram.  I am horridly unfamiliar with many types of social media, so my promotion of my channel and blog suffers for that.  I just want to make a few videos as a hobby, combined with my woodworking hobby.  In that process I hope to maybe pass on a bit of knowledge to anyone who cares to watch.  

Part of woodworking is making errors, so I do include some of them, and how I go about fixing them.  Editing several hours of clips into something that resembles a story is still a skill I am working on.  You can pretty much trust that what you see is probably less than a quarter of what was shot.  I suppose I could edit more severely and take out mistakes I made, but I think that it would make those who try, and then make a mistake, less inclined to keep trying.  Some videos are short, some are long, it just depends on the story.  I could have made the whole project into one 20 minute long episode, without errors, but that would not be a reflection of real life.

We all make mistakes, but the point is to not give up.  Keep trying and make something......anything.  This is not a hobby of instant gratification.

Thanks to all for the comments.  I read them all and take them to heart.  The woodworking community is a wonderful thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the second and last part of the video build up.  Making mistakes and fixing them, just like real life.  The video won't show in Germany though.  Seems there is a copyright issue with the part song I used.  Seeing as my channel does not make money it's not like I am using it to profit from though, and it fits with the theme of the build, so, sorry to any German viewers.  I suppose you could use Hola to mask where you are viewing from though.  You Tube does not seem to have much of a problem with it other than they informed me an extra ad may show up.  I use adblocker, so I don't know it that happens.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not getting much reaction on this thread but I will give it one more shot before I let it go to see if there is any interest.  I bought a Record #4 plane and refurbished it so I could give it to my son as a birthday gift.  I should have noted that the Dremel has a cotton cone shaped buff on it and not a stone.  My son, at 32, is just getting into a bit of woodworking after spending some time in the shop with me doing some projects together.  I figured I would encourage the addiction.

On 8/28/2016 at 1:04 PM, Jim DaddyO said:

A couple of short ones I did up today.

"Doc's Little Docs #8 Sandpaper"

Jim,

I like your sand paper idea.  In fact I had a similar solution with some old hanging files and a storage crate:

2016-09-20 17.49.05.jpg

...but I may have one upped you in the way too organized department:

2016-09-20 17.48.12.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Jim DaddyO said:

Well, this thread is not garnering any interest.  If you want to see my latest videos go to my blog or my You Tube channel.  It takes a lot of time to get things posted up and with no reaction I can only surmise that there is no interest here.  I will just let this thread go now.

I subscribed because I enjoy seeing other shops develop. A bump here and there to let people know what's going on is not considered a bad thing unless that is the only way you are active in the forum. Remember that Google searching is active here, so include keywords that will help new members find this down the road. It seems a lot of current posters are not as into the machinery care on old machines, but that does not mean lurkers don't take it in. 

• Like 2

I understand  what you guys are saying about someone not being active and posting there vids here but why beat around the bush about it. If Marc doesnt want Jim, me, or aneyone elce here than  shouldnt he take cair if it ? Im glad Jim has just posted the track saw vid because I need to make one and it saved me from asking and that I try to do little of that here..Lets face it guys, The forum is mostly for experts that have money for tools. Why would I or alot of people want to post anything here if they are not experts.

I am just a hobby guy too, on a fixed income at that.  I try to stay active in several forums and that takes a lot of time.  I contribute where I can, and that is sometimes difficult because there are so many good folks giving good answers before I even get there.  This thread however, does not seem to garner much interest in this community.  I post pretty much the same in other forums where there is more feedback and discussion.  

It takes a lot of time and effort to create content, and I enjoy doing it, but my last 3 videos did not get as much as a comment, where as in other places I do get feedback, comments, advise, or even just a thank you.  I love this forum and will continue to be a part of it.  It is just this thread I am giving up on due to the seemingly lack of interest.

This situation is not unique to this forum, there are others where I am giving up on posting my videos too.  I have just decided to put efforts into places that seem to want it.

Sorry Jim, I took your post as digging for feedback. I wanted you to know that a lot of guys won't just follow a video link. Please don't read any drama into that like it seems Matt did. My point was that Dave from down under seems to get a little more with separate threads and targeted descriptions. He also tends to post shorter videos. Remember your first couple were too long for some guys :D No criticism intended. 

• Like 1