Shop update

Jim DaddyO

27 minutes ago, TIODS said:

This is simply not true.  There are a lot of people here that build amazing projects who don't have much money or the latest and greatest green, red, and yellow tools in their shop!

I never said someone cant build amazing stuff without the best tools. I said why would aneyone want to post aneything if there not experts. Work that isnt all that amazing or at least up to the forums standards is not all that welcome here. They dont come back a lot of times after they here how much red oak stinks and you here about farm house tables exc, exc.  You no what Im talking about. Its like no one cairs about trying to get new members. What do we have 10-15 members that are active and in the click here. I have been here long enuff to see whats up. Im fine because I dont need to post my stuff and as said I ask very little. Of corce this my opinion so its fine. I feel at least most of I said is true.

• Like 1

I use red oak quite a bit. Not because I like it, because that's what my wife want's in the house.  I work in any wood. There are some posts I just don't read or videos that I don't watch, because it doesn't capture my eye.  And I find that when someone posts something and I read or watch it, and I get nothing from it, I tend not to read or watch the videos they contribute later.

Yeah the red oak thing is just a pissing contest. I don't tell others they gotta use it, so they don't get to tell me I can't. However, that doesn't mean i use it outdoors, or when lots of stability is required, and I don't try to stain it to look like walnut. It has limitations, but using it doesn't make anyone less of a craftsman. A good craftsman simply knows when he should or shouldn't.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, mat60 said:

I never said someone cant build amazing stuff without the best tools. I said why would aneyone want to post aneything if there not experts. Work that isnt all that amazing or at least up to the forums standards is not all that welcome here. They dont come back a lot of times after they here how much red oak stinks and you here about farm house tables exc, exc.  You no what Im talking about. Its like no one cairs about trying to get new members. What do we have 10-15 members that are active and in the click here. I have been here long enuff to see whats up. Im fine because I dont need to post my stuff and as said I ask very little. Of corce this my opinion so its fine. I feel at least most of I said is true.

Mat, there are no forum standards when it comes to the work produced by the people here.  The only standard required, is that you post something you're proud of, or need an answer to.  If someone makes a foot stool from big box wood and nails, the first question I'm gonna ask, is , did you countersink the nails?   Clique?... There's no clique here. I post a lot, because I can spend every waking hour pestering the folks here, because I'm 73 years old and can work all day every day in my shop, or I can sit here and piss you and everyone else off.  New members find their way here from word of mouth, Marc doesn't spend money advertising how wonderful this forum is!  You've been here about a year and a half, how did you find this place???? Mat, why don't you post, hell, I'd like to see your work, you've seen mine, and from that you should be able to see that I'm no damn expert!  I'm going to bed, this is a good place, take advantage of the place.

1 hour ago, RichardA said:

Mat,  You've been here about a year and a half, how did you find this place????

I like the forum alot.   I no it may not seem it at at times but I also like everyone here also.   My wife and I are home alot these days and its been her,work and this forum.  Thank you for asking Richard.

1 hour ago, RichardA said:

The only standard required, is that you post something you're proud of, or need an answer to.

I would just add that if you're posting anything, you should expect some critique/criticism. Hopefully it is constructive.  Marc's guidelines for the project showcase section say as much: "By posting your project here you are consenting to an open critique of your work by other members of this forum."  But, please note that what he also says about their opinions:  "Remember, many critiques are steeped in opinion so don't take it personally if someone disagrees with your choices."

Here's a link to the entire thing for reference:  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mat60 said:

Work that isnt all that amazing or at least up to the forums standards is not all that welcome here.

I simply can't understand this statement.  I haven't noticed this at all.  From my personal experience, I have only posted a few projects, but not a single one was amazing and all are far from perfect.  They were what they are, intermediate-ish projects built by a guy with relatively (very) little experience and mostly sub-par tools.  I can't think of any criticisms from anyone but myself.  I find this to be a very hospitable forum.

5 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

I simply can't understand this statement.  I haven't noticed this at all.  From my personal experience, I have only posted a few projects, but not a single one was amazing and all are far from perfect.  They were what they are, intermediate-ish projects built by a guy with relatively (very) little experience and mostly sub-par tools.  I can't think of any criticisms from anyone but myself.  I find this to be a very hospitable forum.

Uh, That's because cops scare us!    No, your correct, we mostly find good folks here.   Oh, and I noticed that you quoted Hemingway...  The world was a different place in his and my time. It was worth fighting for, but now , only parts of it are worth the effort.

4 minutes ago, Jim DaddyO said:

Well,  I certainly didn't expect this kind of reaction.

Lots's of nice work in this forum in general, and I have no complaint about taking advice or having my work critiqued.  That is why I come here.  To learn, to be inspired, to participate.  Which I will continue to do.   Weather a box from reclaimed material, or an art piece, or fine furniture, I am interested in it all.  I am not going to give up on that.  You guys all inspire me to keep going and trying new things and to improve.  Besides, I like my shop time and working in there.

For me, that's kind of the essence of what this place is about!  Very well said Jim!

Now the coin has flipped and the accusers fall into their own pit. Sarcastically chasten others because your opinion is better? This does not bring the conversation level higher, it drags it back down. Walk the high road guys. Would you also consider posting your work in threads in the showplaces? After all, this is Jim's shop thread. We have hijacked it far afield. (Guilty myself, no stones thrown.) 

Look @mat60 I don't want to disrespect your feelings on the matter.  I am sure they have some basis, but I agree with most of the other posters.  I feel comfortable here.  I don't have a great deal to offer in projects or experience, but I throw my two cents in when I think it's worth at least even money.  And so far I don't think anyone has thrown them back at me.  

@Jim DaddyO I enjoy seeing your videos and other comments.  For me this forum is a place to go and hang out with the Druid Gang.  But, much of the time that I get to spend on here is at work when I'm taking a  break.  Oddly enough the people paying me expect me to be, well, working, so I don't have time to read as many posts as I would like, or write as many posts as I might think of (which might be a good thing).  

But C Shafffer's point is well taken, so, Jim if you do decide to continue your presentations you might want to start a brand new thread.