Frame Saw - Paul Sellers

TerryMcK

Thank's Terry, I saw the video on his site just yesterday and was considering the build !  Do you know a source for the blades?  I haven't looked yet!  Is the moat still holding off those pesky peasants?

Maybe this would work Richard? They are out of stock but maybe gramercy has them directly.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=71362&cat=1,42884,71437

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Edit: just realised how small the blades are compared to the frame saw in the video. Still might be worth checking with gramercy.....

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Maybe this would work Richard? They are out of stock but maybe gramercy has them directly.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=71362&cat=1,42884,71437

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Edit: just realised how small the blades are compared to the frame saw in the video. Still might be worth checking with gramercy.....

Thanks Shane, I looked as well, and you're right, they are a tad small, however, that would make a good companion to go with the frame saw, and I enjoy using hand tools , Hell, I even enjoy making them!

• Like 1

I really enjoy watching Paul teach and work. Two years ago I was looking around youtube for tutorials to spark my interest and came across him. There were other guys that clearly knew what they were doing but were abysmal at conveying that to a student. Not Paul. As a master craftsman his gift is obvious but he is equally talented at teaching as well. I bought his tapes and book and bought many planes and saws that he has there and I look forward to not only using power tools but learning the fundamentals as a basis for learning the craft. 

Paul has a North West English accent. He comes from Stockport which is a town about 8 miles from me. If you ever watched Daphne in Frasier she has a good approximation of the Manchester accent. When you hear her (the actress Jane Leeves) real accent from the south of England it is radically different. Accents can be very different in this country and even another town about 5 miles away from me is totally different. It's almost a tribal thing. 

Not everybody sounds like that very strange accent that Dick Van Dyke spoke in Mary Poppins or the Queen in this country.

As to blades I have found one supplier who stocks a 13TPI rip blade. But you can make blades from broken band saw blades. Drill the hole with a cobalt drill after cutting them to length with a dremel fitted with a grinding disk.

When not in the US Paul teaches at Penrhyn Castle in north Wales (about 100 miles from me ) where the videos are filmed and I intend taking a class with him.

13 hours ago, C Shaffer said:

http://www.blackburntools.com/new-tools/new-saws-and-related/roubo-frame-saw-blade/index.html

But what about the PW claim that frame saw's don't work?

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/editors-blog/arts-mysteries-blogs/the-emperors-new-frame-saw

Worthy of a thread jump? I am truly curious and not just kicking the nest. 

In the PW article Cherubini doesn't say frame saws don't work, he said they don't work well for resawing wide boards.  Sellers is using the frame saw to cut tenons and for general rip cuts.  

7 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

Paul has a North West English accent. He comes from Stockport which is a town about 8 miles from me. If you ever watched Daphne in Frasier she has a good approximation of the Manchester accent. When you hear her real accent from the south of England it is radically different. Accents can be very different in this country and even another town about 5 miles away from me is totally different. It's almost a tribal thing. 

Personally I find the Northern English accents much easier to understand than some of the London accents.   both the ultra-posh and working class London accents can be difficult to follow.  

15 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

Paul has a North West English accent. He comes from Stockport which is a town about 8 miles from me. If you ever watched Daphne in Frasier she has a good approximation of the Manchester accent. When you hear her (the actress Jane Leeves) real accent from the south of England it is radically different. Accents can be very different in this country and even another town about 5 miles away from me is totally different. It's almost a tribal thing. 

Not everybody sounds like that very strange accent that Dick Van Dyke spoke in Mary Poppins or the Queen in this country.

Funny, I was just watching a YouTube video comparing different accents from the various towns In England. It was pretty interesting, and I could really hear a difference in some, some I couldn't understand at all!