Toy box for the toddler(s)

SawDustB

Looking good can't wait to see this guy fully finished. Get a little burning on the top frame?

Pardon the spelling sent from my phone.

Yes, I had needed to clean my blade when I cut those pieces so I had a little burning. I'm not concerned, since I haven't done my final scraping and sanding on those pieces. There's still some glue and other stuff I need to sand off so it won't interfere with the finish.

I've learned, though, that especially in my limited space there's no point in finish sanding until closer to the end. Otherwise I end up doing it again to remove little dings and scuffs before finishing.

Finishing:

My initial thought was to follow Marc's method as shown in his figured maple-popping video. In that, he applies dyed dewaxed shellac, sands it back, followed by oil-based poly for a topcoat. I already know that I don't want to follow that exactly... I want to avoid oil-based for the inside of the box because of the stink issue, and my younger daughter is in the gnawing on things stage, so I want something that will be completely cured fast.

My initial plan was to use dye in shellac as Marc did, then follow that with GF Enduro Var for the top coat (since it's water-based and dries fast). I have the aniline dye from Lee Valley, and picked up the Enduro Var, but I'm having a hard time finding dewaxed shellac. I've also noticed that GF suggests that applying Enduro Var over shellac (even dewaxed) is not really recommended.

So now I'm wondering if just using the dye applied with water would be enough, followed by sanding (which I'd have to do because of grain raising anyway) and then top coating with the Enduro Var. I can spray the Enduro Var if necessary, or I can apply with a brush if that's a better idea. I'm thinking some combination might work, where I use the brush for some of the inside corners and things and spray the outside.

Anyone have any thoughts? I'd like to figure it out this week so I'm ready to keep going after I go through my finish sanding.

I don't have any advice specifically other than applying the poly over shellac will probably be fine but if you can't get it my other advice is to take some scrap and run tests. I don't mean to discount people's knowledge but sometimes testing on scrap pieces that are the same as the the item is made out of is the best way to know how it will work.

• Like 1

Today was glue up day! I opted to put screws in the bottom, since they won't be seen. I figure it'll help when my daughters decide to jump in it. There was a lot of sanding as well, taking everything up to 220 on the inside.

4a2f4a61f283234e73a38798a6d85a6f.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how it's looking. This went smoother than some glue ups do.

00477a3bbce6cd0e6364cfcea08ff776.jpg

I also put a chamfer on most of the edges, since some of them will be hard to profile after assembly. You can also see some cedar strips in the background for my next project...

acee95c72b8236236fcae17bded6631a.jpg

• Like 2

Next project a canoe?

No... I had my fill of boat building years ago, when I built a couple of sea kayaks with my dad. Nothing so ambitious as that. They're for a pair of bent lamination beams for a decorative arched garden bridge. Aside from the bent beam, the rest of it will be more deck building than fine woodworking.

I'm wayyyy late to the party here.

1. Looks great! My kids use theirs every single day. Yours will too.

2. Are you surrrrrrrre you want to put Enduro-var on that pretty flame birch? How did you go from wanting to 'pop the finish' to that? Pretty sure the product tag line is "Endurovar For woodworkers who enjoy a finish that yellows with age, without that pesky figure, luster, or grain depth"

Plus, it's Birch. It's already a deep yellow!

3. Seriously though...that figure will 'pop' just fine with some oil based wiping varnish. No need for dye.

Use Endurovar and the figured wood gods will be angry.

On 19/04/2016 at 2:05 AM, vinnyjojo said:

I'm wayyyy late to the party here.

1. Looks great! My kids use theirs every single day. Yours will too.

2. Are you surrrrrrrre you want to put Enduro-var on that pretty flame birch? How did you go from wanting to 'pop the finish' to that? Pretty sure the product tag line is "Endurovar For woodworkers who enjoy a finish that yellows with age, without that pesky figure, luster, or grain depth"

Plus, it's Birch. It's already a deep yellow!

3. Seriously though...that figure will 'pop' just fine with some oil based wiping varnish. No need for dye.

Use Endurovar and the figured wood gods will be angry. emoji6.png

Thanks Vinny! I'm curious as to what the issue with the Enduro var is - just don't like the look? My impression, based on other people's comments about it is that it's a reasonable substitution for an oil-based varnish, while having the benefits (mostly spraying and fast dry time) of water based. The dye I'm planning to use to bring out the figure is in the medium to light brown range (Lee valley Russett amber). I've used it before and gotten very good results - we've already got a coffee table dyed with it that'll be about 6 feet from the toy box in the room, although I'd go a lot more dilute than the sample below.

56z0203i1.jpg

I think maybe some tests are in order to see what's best. I'd still really like to use the enduro var if it'll give me a good result... Oil-based will take a couple of weeks before it'll be fully cured and stops off-gassing with the cold temperatures we're still getting. I'd have a lot more options if I could get dewaxed shellac here, but it seems impossible to get a can of seal coat anywhere close.

You're exactly right about the enduro var. It will give you the grain pop and warmth of using an oil and it sprays like lacquer. Drys super quick and self levels amazingly. You could have this box finished with 3 coats and in the playroom the same day. Here is a sample board with 2 oil based and two waterbourne;

2f8b6fe014be5e189e42e4f5c2e1616b.jpg

From left to right;

Arm r seal, watco danish oil, general finishes exterior 450 and enduro var.

The grain pop and warmth is the same with enduro var as it is with an oil based product. Definitely my new go to product to spray.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

You're exactly right about the enduro var. It will give you the grain pop and warmth of using an oil and it sprays like lacquer. Drys super quick and self levels amazingly. You could have this box finished with 3 coats and in the playroom the same day. Here is a sample board with 2 oil based and two waterbourne;

I knew I was looking at someone's test board on here right before I went and bought the can of it! This is from the toolbox, right? Thanks, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'll proceed with a test of the finish tonight.

I knew I was looking at someone's test board on here right before I went and bought the can of it! This is from the toolbox, right? Thanks, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'll proceed with a test of the finish tonight.

Yes it's from the tool box build. Let me know what you think of this stuff ! You shouldn't have any trouble spraying it. It self levels so well it's hard to not get perfect. Just make sure if you shoot outside to bring it in your nice warm shop to cure.

You're exactly right about the enduro var. It will give you the grain pop and warmth of using an oil ...The grain pop and warmth is the same with enduro var as it is with an oil based product.

Shane - I'll eat that test board if you can get me to agree that Endurovar brings out the same depth as ARS.

You're exactly right about the enduro var. It will give you the grain pop and warmth of using an oil ...The grain pop and warmth is the same with enduro var as it is with an oil based product.

Shane - I'll eat that test board if you can get me to agree that Endurovar brings out the same depth as ARS.

I won't argue with you . Your perception is your reality....

Finally got a chance to start on finishing. Lots of sanding, then I applied my first coat of dye. After drying, I sanded all the fuzzies off. Here it is below.

b3926b0414c5a703d008692037e75501.jpg

I then applied another coat to even out the color a bit. I don't think I'm going to sand it back, since I'm worried about getting it even. No more pictures of it wet until I finish the finishing.

• Like 2

Yes it's from the tool box build. Let me know what you think of this stuff ! You shouldn't have any trouble spraying it. It self levels so well it's hard to not get perfect. Just make sure if you shoot outside to bring it in your nice warm shop to cure.

I sprayed the enduro var today. I was impressed. It gave me exactly the finish I was looking for, and brought out that bit of warmth. I found it a little more brown than arm r seal, but I like the effect here. I brushed on the underside and some inside corners last night, and it went on well, although I had to be really careful on the first coat not to dissolve my dye.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I did all the spraying with the little trim gun because I needed it for the inside and I didn't want to clean 2 guns. It laid down pretty well, certainly better than some other things I've tried, but I've also only sprayed a couple of times. I figure I put on 4 light coats on most of it.

I'll definitely be using it again. I'll post pictures after I put on the hinges and have it all done, likely tomorrow.

• Like 2

So I completely finished the toy box yesterday, with installing the hinges and lid stays. I used the same ones from Lee valley that Marc did in the video. I forgot to take pictures while it was outside, though. Right now it's in the basement with poor lighting while it completely cures.

I'll put up some decent pictures in a day or two once I bring it up into the house. I was thinking I'd add some little adhesive bumpers where the lid comes down to help avoid slamming of wood on wood. What do you guys use for this?

The bigger the lid is the bigger the bumper I use. They stick best to a fully cured finish. The adhesive sticks better over time so be careful of dislodging them for a few weeks. I keep about 4 different sizes of bumpers . Your selection may be limited by your supplier.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...