Are 3/4" Pipes Overkill?

So I'm about to expand my clamp collection, and I will be purchasing a few sets of Bessey pipe clamps.  My current pipe clamps are 3/4", and the 4' ones are a little cumbersome, so I'm wondering if 3/4" black pipe is overkill, and if anyone has experienced any problems with 1/2" black pipe.

Obviously I would love to buy nicer clamps, but I'm a hobbyist on a really tight budget (is there anything worse?)

Thanks.  I'm so glad I found this site, you guys are the best!

I have a bunch of pipe clamps since before the parallel ones became popular.  All the 3/4 ones are still good, and all the 1/2" ones are bent.  I've even used connectors to make 60' long pipe clamps with 20 foot sections of 3/4 black pipe working on houses.  The 20 foot pipes have been hanging at the top of a wall in one of the shops for decades, and stlll are called on once in a while.

I have caused my 3/4" pipes to flex so I think 1/2" would be too weak.  That being said, pipe comes in different wall thickness.  schedule 40 is standard, schedule 80 is thicker.  1/2" schedule 80 pipe is about the same wall thickness as 3/4" schedule 40.    

Also, I have galvanized and black pipe clamps.  PVA glue can react with the coating on black pipe and get all over you work.  I don't if galvanized is more expensive.  My dad made my galvanized pipe clamps back in the 1980s. 

Something to be aware of with galvanized. If the zinc coating is very thick, it will creep because it is quite soft. I ended up tossing all my  3/4" galvanized pipe & going to black because of trouble with the clamp fitting not gripping well. They are Jorgenson clamps. Others may vary

I learned the black pipe stain lesson the hard way.  I think it was my very first red oak panel.  I use pipe insulation or wax paper between the project and pipes now.

I do like those Jorgensen clamps, a lot of size options too.  HD has a good deal on 50" Bessey K-Body, $40 I think, so I'll probably pull the trigger on those when I start to cross items off my wish list. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2016 at 4:05 PM, Mike. said:

I have caused my 3/4" pipes to flex so I think 1/2" would be too weak.  That being said, pipe comes in different wall thickness.  schedule 40 is standard, schedule 80 is thicker.  1/2" schedule 80 pipe is about the same wall thickness as 3/4" schedule 40.    

Also, I have galvanized and black pipe clamps.  PVA glue can react with the coating on black pipe and get all over you work.  I don't if galvanized is more expensive.  My dad made my galvanized pipe clamps back in the 1980s. 

Stiffness of pipe is a largely a function of diameter.  So matching wall thickness on 1/2 pipe won't help much as far as making it as stiff as 3/4"

Kind of wish they made 1" pipe clamps.

2 hours ago, Hurricane Dry said:

Stiffness of pipe is a largely a function of diameter.  So matching wall thickness on 1/2 pipe won't help much as far as making it as stiff as 3/4"

Kind of wish they made 1" pipe clamps.

Ya, even the 3/4 flex too much for my liking & heavier wall thickness would just make them, well, too heavy.

One of the contractors I worked with years ago had both 1/2" and 3/4" pipe clamps. I never really liked the 1/2" clamps that were set up on 5' lengths (10' pipe cut in half.) But I thought they were fine for short clamps like 3' or so and under. 

For anything longer I always preferred the 3/4" pipe. 

Pipe clamps are a great way to create a flexible clamping system. I can take the heads off my 5' pipe sections, join them with other sections and create longer clamps when needed. Not to mention that I have a few 10' sticks of 3/4" pipe and I will place the clamps heads on them when doing larger glue-ups. 

Before I ever heard anything negative about using galvanized pipe I had already purchased it. Fortunately I have not had any of the problems with it at this point and I have been using them for many years.