6" benchtop jointer vs cabinet style

bigarm

I currently have a 6” Delta table top jointer and am wondering if it is worth it to upgrade to a cabinet style. I really don’t have room for a 8” model, plus I would need to add in a 220 outlet. I need to make a decision fairly quickly as I have been given permission to buy tools for a short time AND then no more. If it is not really a big upgrade then it is probably not worth it. Also, if so would a Grizzly or Jet or Shop Fox be better buys. Can’t really afford anything else.

A bench top jointer has serious limitations. A 6" cast iron cabinet/ floor stand type is the minimum for most shops. The Jet is a pretty decent machine, I have one. I would try to avoid the least expensive brands or you might regret it when the low quality becomes apparent. Griz is acceptable to many. Or look for a better machine used ?

A floor model is a must if you ask me. The longer the beds the better. Grizz is ok, I have an 8" Grizzly jointer and have no complaints about it, it's never given me any trouble. The majority of the tools in my shop are Jet, and I will say that their quality is noticeably better than Grizzly. If you go new, Jet will have a 5 year warranty. They are owned by JPW Industries which also owns Powermatic. 

Shop Fox and Grizzly are owned by the same person. They are comparable in design and quality. Each brand does have their own unique few tools that the other doesn't. If you like green go grizzly, if you like white go Shop Fox. 

I got an email that said Jet was having a 15% off sale so I ordered a 6" jointer.  NO MORE TOOLS for me!  Had decided to not buy a jointer and then this sale shows up.  Hope I made an okay choice.  Originally I was going to buy a Grizzly and then decided to buy none and now buy this one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigarm said:

I got an email that said Jet was having a 15% off sale so I ordered a 6" jointer.  NO MORE TOOLS for me!  Had decided to not buy a jointer and then this sale shows up.  Hope I made an okay choice.  Originally I was going to buy a Grizzly and then decided to buy none and now buy this one.

Congrats... same here!  I doubled my money flipping an old smaller powermatic jointer today and pulled the trigger on the Jet 6".  Rockler was free shipping and no tax for me!  Apparently they don't even upcharge for lift-gate service.  We will see. Even Amazon was gonna charge me tax.

• 5 years later...