What is it about people...

Cliff

"Selling myself" is something I'm quite bad at. I think my apathy comes across pretty clearly. I am terrible in job interviews because of this. But I always am a top performer in whatever job I am in. However, in this case I was contacted because I did another restaurant website across the street from this guy so I came highly recommended.

My dad was an electrician, and he hated that our neighbors knew that.  (actually, he hated residential work altogether)  One day after another neighbor had asked him "Do you want to make a little money this weekend?", he told me that the main word in that "offer" was Little.  He finally started charging what he made during the week, and they stopped bugging him.  

Same problem here in the tech world.  I'm a Systems Administrator for my full time job, but I do residential computer and other electronic repair on the side.  Its all by word of mouth, but I hate getting the phone call for me to "just talk me through it".  That or someone will ask me to do the work, I'll tell them my hourly rate and how long I estimate it will take and they either hire me right there or they make up some excuse.  If they make an excuse I know they were never really planning on paying me anyway.  I value my free time from work, don't you.

I do give out discounts to some customers that I personally know are financially strapped for cash.  I'm too much of a nice guy sometimes.  

I will do both. I will give work away and will work for profit. I don't mind giving some work away and also don't mind a cash stipend of some kind for a donated job. What I won't do is work a job for a loss. It is too much wasted work to bid lowball when there may not be another project to float it. So, if you ask for a bid you should expect one tailored for profit. I learned this the hard way by selling myself short in the first few months of my unemployment. The benefits being paid out saved us. The transition from hourly employee to sole proprietor was brutal until I understood the volume of cash to upkeep tools and pay liability etc. You are so much better off being too expensive for your friends in your non-day job life. 

6 hours ago, abmorse1 said:

My dad was an electrician, and he hated that our neighbors knew that. 

My wife is a clinical psychologist. Everyone wants free therapy. Everyone! 99% (no kidding) of anyone that comes to my house asks for some sort of advice/help. I've had parties ruined by good friends. no sh*%... one of my "friends" came over and thought it was his chance for free therapy. He waited until a few of us were downstairs playing pool, and he cornered her. "I can't get this out of my mind... my friend committed suicide..." blah blah f-ing blah.

People just feel justified by unloading on her all the time. We've had a waiter (at a nice restaurant) sit down at the table, and lay their problems down. She was wearing a rorschach pin I gave her the day before. The waiter asked if she was a "shrink", she said she was a psychologist, and he pulled up a f-ing chair. He started saying how he was molested by his step dad, and I stood up and told him to go away. I lost my damn mind.

It's one thing to ask for a deal, it's another thing completely to act the way so-called friends have at my house. And F that waiter. In their minds she's just talking to them... People are just rude f-ers. 

10 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

Mel you need to buy a cattle prod or stun gun.  Shock therapy is still therapy and think of the laughs you and the wife will have when they hit the floor from all that voltage.  I hope you got the meal for free.

I didn't get a manager involved, didn't want the moron to get fired. A prod is a good idea! :) 

It happens everywhere Mel.  Look right here at these very forums.  How many times a day do we see a post where someone needs X but can't find it free on Craigslist?  

There's nothing wrong with trying to find a good deal.  The problem happens when people get pushy about it or take advantage of friendships to get the killer deal.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Llama said:

My wife is a clinical psychologist. Everyone wants free therapy. Everyone! 99% (no kidding) of anyone that comes to my house asks for some sort of advice/help. I've had parties ruined by good friends. no sh*%... one of my "friends" came over and thought it was his chance for free therapy. He waited until a few of us were downstairs playing pool, and he cornered her. "I can't get this out of my mind... my friend committed suicide..." blah blah f-ing blah.

People just feel justified by unloading on her all the time. We've had a waiter (at a nice restaurant) sit down at the table, and lay their problems down. She was wearing a rorschach pin I gave her the day before. The waiter asked if she was a "shrink", she said she was a psychologist, and he pulled up a f-ing chair. He started saying how he was molested by his step dad, and I stood up and told him to go away. I lost my damn mind.

It's one thing to ask for a deal, it's another thing completely to act the way so-called friends have at my house. And F that waiter. In their minds she's just talking to them... People are just rude f-ers. 

Mel, please have your wife pm me. I work at Baskin Robins during the day and I feel that the items I sell are competitively priced .... Is it just me?

56 minutes ago, Llama said:

That amazes me man. I just can't even fathom doing that. I'd ask if she has openings or something so I can make an appointment. 

I do repair computers and such for free for family. We all have a bit of a barter system. My brother is a mechanic and a .. woodworker of sorts. But only plywood based stuff. So he would build me stuff in return for fixing computers. My sister is a nurse so she will come over and pull out splinters or take care of ingrown nails, etc. My parents, I owe everything in the universe and would do 20,000 jobs for free with no questions asked. 

My friends I try to do the same. I don't charge my friend that owns a comic shop, but I noticed him sneaking an extra 5% off on a stack of comics that came to well over $200 so I appreciate that. 

49 minutes ago, Llama said:

My wife is a clinical psychologist. Everyone wants free therapy.

I can relate - my fiance is a psychologist as well... same story, though not as bad as you it seems!  But yeah, her mom is actually the worst offender - just dumps on her like crazy thinking she can actually be objective and provide therapy to her own mom... yeah, not so much. We've definitely had a few awkward encounters when people hear she is a psychologist, but thankfully with most people it is a non-issue.  For her, the issue is mostly with family and acquaintances, which is annoying as harder to tell them to eff off.

That story about the waiter is unreal!  

I am sure all of us as woodworkers can tell multiple stories along these lines.  After I had taken only one class on intro to woodworking, I had people asking me to build them everything from a bar, a bed, a backyard bench built-in, etc... I had to explain that I had no tools, no idea what I was doing, and also wasn't at all interested in working for free. 

37 minutes ago, TIODS said:

Hey Mel, as you're looking for a place to relocate, can you guys pop up here and have a look about?  My kids all need therapy so, we could kill a few birds with one stone! ;)

Ya know, I was just thinking that you were the last one over that didn't expect free therapy and here you are :blink: lol

41 minutes ago, cjtboy said:

I can relate - my fiance is a psychologist as well... same story, though not as bad as you it seems!  But yeah, her mom is actually the worst offender - just dumps on her like crazy thinking she can actually be objective and provide therapy to her own mom... yeah, not so much. We've definitely had a few awkward encounters when people hear she is a psychologist, but thankfully with most people it is a non-issue.  For her, the issue is mostly with family and acquaintances, which is annoying as harder to tell them to eff off.

That story about the waiter is unreal!  

I am sure all of us as woodworkers can tell multiple stories along these lines.  After I had taken only one class on intro to woodworking, I had people asking me to build them everything from a bar, a bed, a backyard bench built-in, etc... I had to explain that I had no tools, no idea what I was doing, and also wasn't at all interested in working for free. 

My wife also gets people that think she can read their minds, or that she is constantly judges them. She is quick to say "I don't work for free"... They shut up really quick! :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Llama said:

Ya know, I was just thinking that you were the last one over that didn't expect free therapy and here you are :blink: lol

Only reason I helped with your shop Mel..  I'll call on a favor one day ;)

Besides that, you're right, I probably need it more than the kids.. :o

• Like 1

Just now, TIODS said:

Only reason I helped with your shop Mel..  I'll call on a favor one day ;)

Besides that, you're right, I probably need it more than the kids.. :o

You are more than welcome to call on any favor at anytime from me. You'll have to discuss terms with my wife if you want to go that route ;) 

• Like 1

Does anybody else think we need to come up with a new job title or slogan for Mel's wife?  Let's hear the ideas!!

Job Title: Cranial Proctologist

Slogan: For $500 I will listen to your BS at my office, keep asking questions now I will kick you where the good lord split you!

10 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

Does anybody else think we need to come up with a new job title or slogan for Mel's wife?  Let's hear the ideas!!

Job Title: Cranial Proctologist

Slogan: For $500 I will listen to your BS at my office, keep asking questions now I will kick you where the good lord split you!

Personally, I think putting up with Mel and going to school away from her children is punishment enough ;)

6 minutes ago, TIODS said:

Personally, I think putting up with Mel and going to school away from her children is punishment enough ;)

I was referring more to the people who come up and ask her stuff or a job title to keep the real title a secret.  But I agree, that must be a difficult year being away from the kids.  And Mel too?:lol:

1 minute ago, Woodenskye said:

I was referring more to the people who come up and ask her stuff or a job title to keep the real title a secret.  But I agree, that must be a difficult year being away from the kids.  And Mel too?:lol:

No, not Mel, just the kids ;)

9 hours ago, Woodenskye said:

I know this is in jest, but I should add that she is not allowed to hand out a business card in public. Per the regulations that govern such things (and there is a big list of them, and they are very strict!) she is only allowed to refer them to someone else if she is approached. If she sees someone having a breakdown, she is not allowed to intervene. 

22 minutes ago, Llama said:

I know this is in jest, but I should add that she is not allowed to hand out a business card in public. Per the regulations that govern such things (and there is a big list of them, and they are very strict!) she is only allowed to refer them to someone else if she is approached. If she sees someone having a breakdown, she is not allowed to intervene. 

That explains a lot about you Mel..  Lack of intervention from the wife ;)

I don't remember where I fist heard this but ever since it sticks in my mind, " you need to value your art and not give it away, once you do your art becomes worthless" something like this, not to say I don't give some things away, I do, I have good friends who value my work and appreciate it, Most times they want to pay for it but It's a gift of love to them, Then I have other friends that are always looking for something for free, because I make it in a small shop and make several of them they feel an entitlement to them because one of my other friends got something they should be entitle as well, not knowing or understanding the relationship with my other friend, I digress, you put a fair value on your time, and your talents. The client who respects your work will always value it as well, the ones who don't will always no matter how good it will be will find fault, and expect discounted work in the future.