Outfeed 1.0

collinb

11 hours ago, Llama said:

Short notice...

So, you had 10 minutes to come up with an outfeed table or the world as we know it would cease to exist? 

11 hours ago, Llama said:

Short notice...

So, you had 10 minutes to come up with an outfeed table or the world as we know it would cease to exist? 

No ... I had my first sheet of MDF, 2'x4', and intended to quickly cut 12" off one end.  And I didn't want anything to (potentially) fall to the driveway. MDF gets ruined so easily, as you know. It's not like dropping a piece of oak or maple.  And, yes, it's a little chilly in my outdoor shop once the sun gets low. So I built it quickly and thought pulling chains might be a nice side benefit to the solution.

When the real solution comes about ...

When my garage is ready for mostly inside work the plan is to do something just a little better than the plans I've seen online.  I'm thinking that attaching a couple of legs from an old tripod might be practical.  My garage is not quite level (like most) and when the saw changes orientation the ability to compensate with the very simple height adjustment provided by tripod legs would be both highly functional and lightweight. 

Since it will also be removable I'm thinking a simple method of holding it in place might bungee cords. 

In the mean time ... you guys keep laughing it up.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Eric. said:

Still though...anything worth doing is worth doing right.  

To expand on this,  even if I don't have it in me to go full nuts, because let's be honest,  some things just don't matter enough for me to care that much,  I'll still usually use the opportunity to try something new. 

5 hours ago, collinb said:

No ... I had my first sheet of MDF, 2'x4', and intended to quickly cut 12" off one end.  And I didn't want anything to (potentially) fall to the driveway. MDF gets ruined so easily, as you know. It's not like dropping a piece of oak or maple.  And, yes, it's a little chilly in my outdoor shop once the sun gets low. So I built it quickly and thought pulling chains might be a nice side benefit to the solution.

When the real solution comes about ...

When my garage is ready for mostly inside work the plan is to do something just a little better than the plans I've seen online.  I'm thinking that attaching a couple of legs from an old tripod might be practical.  My garage is not quite level (like most) and when the saw changes orientation the ability to compensate with the very simple height adjustment provided by tripod legs would be both highly functional and lightweight. 

Since it will also be removable I'm thinking a simple method of holding it in place might bungee cords. 

In the mean time ... you guys keep laughing it up.

Another way to work around would be to attachthe table to the saw on a swinging pin that can be pulled out to remove,  then a single point leg that comes down to your saw base.  This way, or doesn't matter where your saw is, the table is still at the right level. 

To me this just looks dangerous.  1 thin sheet of ply held up with 1X's screwed into end grain with no other bracing on the legs ....  the other end of the table supported and tied  to the saw with twine. Just stupid. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dylder said:

To me this just looks dangerous.  1 thin sheet of ply held up with 1X's screwed into end grain with no other bracing on the legs ....  the other end of the table supported and tied  to the saw with twine. Just stupid. 

Are you saying it needs more twine? :ph34r:

• Like 1