Looking for feedback on- Veritas Dowel Maker Set

Janello

Veritas really knows how to market their products. I would get the kit even though I never see myself needing any dowels over 1/2". By the time you buy the tool with 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 you don't save much and don't have the neat little case.

So, master set and bench dog holder are what I am seeking. I use dowels quite a bit so if this works well I am not concerned about the long term investment. I just want to know it works before plopping out the $.

17 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

John you should convince Shane to buy and give a thorough review. It does look like an interesting tool/jig.  I don't know of many Veritas tools that were duds, so it might not be that risky of a purchase.

I can't wait for Shane. It might be 3 days before he gets a chance to finish his next project using this. ;)

• Like 1

Has anyone any experience using this ?  I am thinking of adding this to my arsenal, but wanted some opinions before I pull the trigger.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=42331&cat=1,180,42288

Lol. Funny you ask, I just received this with my two skew block planes on Friday. I got the master set.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

As of right now I can tell you I am pretty impressed. Its seems to be really well made. It has micro adjustmemt so you can dial your dowel in to exact size. Pretty sweet. The more Veritas tools I own, the more I am impressed by them.

I bought it because I will be doing some wood hinges. I will use dowel and it need to exactly match the diameter of the round nose bit that I have. I can do a review when I use it.

shane if you ever want to adopt a 64 year old son let me know, i can be there in 2 days:huh: i would have to have full access to all your toys

Dave, If you ever need a specific dowel size and species let me know, I can make if for you =)

I bought this one for wood hinges and plugs for my Roubo. It works well and the end result is very impressive. It does take a bit to get the diameter dialed in to what you want. http://www.elkheadtools.com/dsts.html I bought the 1/4" and 3/8" and they cost about $140ish each so if this kit works it appears to be a good value to me. I look forward to the review.

9 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

I bought this one for wood hinges and plugs for my Roubo. It works well and the end result is very impressive. It does take a bit to get the diameter dialed in to what you want. http://www.elkheadtools.com/dsts.html I bought the 1/4" and 3/8" and they cost about $140ish each so if this kit works it appears to be a good value to me. I look forward to the review.

Interesting concept, but I find it strange that you have to sign a waiver before they will ship to you.  Is it really that safe to use?

140$ each is pricey compared to the Lv. I paid 419$ and you get 1/4" to 1" in capability in 1/16" increments !

5 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

Interesting concept, but I find it strange that you have to sign a waiver before they will ship to you.  Is it really that safe to use?

Yeah not sure what that is about probably isn't worth the paper its written on anyway. That being said not sure how you could have an issue unless somehow it actually comes loose and hits the blade. I have used it several times and never had any issues or felt concern.

5 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

140$ each is pricey compared to the Lv. I paid 419$ and you get 1/4" to 1" in capability in 1/16" increments !

Agreed. If it works as advertised :)

I text the wife.

Me- Ya know those Oakley sunglasses I passed on the other day?? Well I was thinking of getting a new tool instead.

Her- Can't you borrow Shanes?

Me- He doesn't own thi...wait, he just posted that he does own it.

Her- Yeah, ofcourse he does. The ONLY tool he doesn't have is that stupid bullnose plane you never use.

Me- I use that thing all the time!

Her- Good, then make some dowels with it.

Actually, Just the first line is true...waiting on an answer, from the boss.

Was just driving my truck reading this laughing my head off....you're hilarious John.

2 hours ago, shaneymack said:

I just received this with my two skew block planes on Friday. I got the master set.

So it was just like a $500 throw-in? A little side item? Not worth mentioning? I'm with John, start a project that requires dowels right now so the review can be done by lunch.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

thats how a friend of mine got his new mirka sander, my wife says maybe my NEXT wife will get it for me

Oh.... I would tell her that her NEXT husband might take her to a movie !   *make sure you walk away eating popcorn for the full effect*

• Like 2