Looking for feedback on- Veritas Dowel Maker Set

Janello

So it was just like a $500 throw-in? A little side item? Not worth mentioning?

I don't want to reveal EVERY tool I buy. I don't want you guys to think that I'm some crazed tool buying maniac.

I have some "green" tools coming in this week, i will share just for you JT =)

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I don't want to reveal EVERY tool I buy. I don't want you guys to think that I'm some crazed tool buying maniac.

So tempted to ask where you get the money, and then I think, no don't tell me, I'd rather have plausible deniability...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

So tempted to ask where you get the money, and then I think, no don't tell me, I'd rather have plausible deniability...

Lol. Well often after I build a house for someone they ask me to finish their basement. My boss doesnt mind, she actually tells clients to just have Shane do your basement after you move in. Ends up being a lot cheaper for them and on one basement I probably make enough to buy 4 kapexes. It depends how much I do myself and how much I sub out. All my subs do the work for me for super cheap because I use them for our houses they want to keep me happy. So some of the money i make on the side goes to tools and doesnt come from my day job. Hence the new tools...

And of course my boss doesnt mind me buying some stuff with the company card for the "jobsite" which sometimes is my shop and sometimes at work.

I see. Sounds like a nice setup, although that deal with the subs would be considered quite shady in my neck of the woods... not saying what you're doing is bad, but too many bad apples took it too far and ruined it for everyone, i.e. they asked subs to work on personal stuff for free in exchange for future bids being accepted.

9 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Lol. Well often after I build a house for someone they ask me to finish their basement. My boss doesnt mind, she actually tells clients to just have Shane do your basement after you move in. Ends up being a lot cheaper for them and on one basement I probably make enough to buy 4 kapexes. It depends how much I do myself and how much I sub out. All my subs do the work for me for super cheap because I use them for our houses they want to keep me happy. So some of the money i make on the side goes to tools and doesnt come from my day job. Hence the new tools...

And of course my boss doesnt mind me buying some stuff with the company card for the "jobsite" which sometimes is my shop and sometimes at work.

Don't be fooled guys this is BS.  We all know Pitbull's tool purchases are funded from his concert tour and other gigs!!

48 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

You said in another thread that you already had a full fescollection. I can't trust you any more :( lol

36 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

I see. Sounds like a nice setup, although that deal with the subs would be considered quite shady in my neck of the woods... not saying what you're doing is bad, but too many bad apples took it too far and ruined it for everyone, i.e. they asked subs to work on personal stuff for free in exchange for future bids being accepted.

Oh no man, nothing shady here. Most of my subs have been there for years. I don't get other quotes. They are the guy I use unless they get too comfortable and stop providing the quality/service i demand, then its bye-bye. And nothing is free, I always pay them, a lot less then going rate but I pay them.

32 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

Don't be fooled guys this is BS.  We all know Pitbull's tool purchases are funded from his concert tour and other gigs!!

10 minutes ago, Janello said:

pb.PNG

OH DAMN !! NOT THIS AGAIN !!!! 

12 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

You said in another thread that you already had a full fescollection. I can't trust you any more :( lol

When you gonna learn son, you cant trust an addict !!

• Like 1

Right, but you can see how it would be easy to pay them a little less for your side jobs and promise to accept their slightly higher bids on the company dime... That's why it's frowned upon. I wouldn't expect you personally to do that, but it happens sadly.

Right, but you can see how it would be easy to pay them a little less for your side jobs and promise to accept their slightly higher bids on the company dime... That's why it's frowned upon. I wouldn't expect you personally to do that, but it happens sadly.

Ahh I see what you mean. Can't happen in my situation. All bills go to head office and are approved by my Project Manager who is also the VP. That wouldn't get by her...

On 5/24/2016 at 9:06 AM, pkinneb said:

I bought this one for wood hinges and plugs for my Roubo. It works well and the end result is very impressive. It does take a bit to get the diameter dialed in to what you want. http://www.elkheadtools.com/dsts.html I bought the 1/4" and 3/8" and they cost about $140ish each so if this kit works it appears to be a good value to me. I look forward to the review.

Here are some dowels I have made up with these jigs. Most are 1/4" that I use for wood hinge boxes.

IMG_0942.JPG

19 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Nice have you checked with caliper for consistency? Does that jig have a mirco adjustment?

I have and they are very consistent once the jig is set up but I suspect the LV jig is easier to dial in. With these you just move the table saw fence not really a micro adjustment which is why once set up I run extras :). I look forward to your review if the end result is the same I would go with this set for the reasons you have pointed out.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Probably too late with this, but here goes anyway. I've owned that set for years. Bought it 'cause I needed a lot of dowel stock, accurately sized and in specific hardwoods. The tool met all my needs. Easy to dial in and easy to use. Feed it clear, straight grained wood and keep the blades sharp. You will need a big drill motor especially on the bigger dowels.

Probably too late with this, but here goes anyway. I've owned that set for years. Bought it 'cause I needed a lot of dowel stock, accurately sized and in specific hardwoods. The tool met all my needs. Easy to dial in and easy to use. Feed it clear, straight grained wood and keep the blades sharp. You will need a big drill motor especially on the bigger dowels.

Thanks for the input, Russ. Welcome to the forum !