Router lift

Sbrooks

I got the same one that Shaney has, but it's just sitting in the box until I get the router table built so I can't speak from experience. But everything I've read about it is positive.

I have the table as well and its great. Go pick one up and you don't have to build one !

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, shaneymack said:

I have the table as well and its great. Go pick one up and you don't have to build one !

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I have space constraints so it's going in the right hand table saw extension & I have to rebuild it cause the one that comes with the SawStop isn't really suitable for that.

• Like 1

I have run the 'no longer made' Woodpecker PRL v1 for a decade or so.  Flawless performance but, it is a very simple device; not a lot of bells and whistles.

I believe some current manufacturers are making lifts with automatic carriage locks.  This is what drew me to the PRL along with it being the most massive one around except for the 'no longer made' Bench Dog of old.  The Bench Dog got knocked out of the running for me due to the funky carriage lock.  By many reports this is actually a non-issue in a lift that heavy.

I have read an equal number of "oops" posts where the profile was fouled due to someone forgetting to lock the carriage versus those who have never had a problem not locking the carriage and just don't bother.

Although I do swap router bits many times during a project I have never missed a "quick lift" mechanism.  I assume the value of this depends on your working environment and methods.

My lift also does not attach to the table but, given the weight and center of gravity it is not surprising that it has never budged.  Certainly a lighter weight lift that mounts to the table should be fine. 

Quick lift models should mount to the table so you don't "quick lift" the whole unit out of the table ;-)   The side crank models remove the need for a crank or wrench which is sweet but, these do dictate your table/base design to some degree; not a bad thing, just a thing.

I doubt you will get much consensus on a "best" maker/model BUT, I am sure you will find that anyone who has moved to a lift would never go back without a fight ;-)

• Like 1