Finally, new house, new shop

Gixxerjoe04

20 hours ago, estesbubba said:

Congrats on the new place and the view looks awesome. I would put up an underground fence and takes three days to train dogs then 2 weeks of close supervision. After that no problems and you don't mess up any views. 

Awesome space with the garage and can't wait to see it come together. I would leave one pole as is is case of any bachelor parties. After all your friends are hitched then you can use it to hang things. 

I thought about doing that but still wouldn't feel comfortable letting my dog out and not watching her especially with cows and wild animals around she'd want to chase.  I plan on putting a woven wire fence up just not sure where exactly.  Thought about just the "backyard" part, the layout of the house and land is a rectangle, with the house on one end, in the middle, if that makes sense.  We worked all day long today, got most of our house stuff put away but still got a basement of stuff to go through and organize.  Gotta build some big shelving units for our laundry room, thinking 2, 8' long by 30" depth so all the random holiday and whatever crap can go.  

Here's a pic of the basement, you can see the panel, I've gotta go out that doorway, over the door and into the garage, which seems like it's gonna be an expensive pain in the butt.  

78887C7A-3D74-440C-B4CE-E385F1C57358_zps

• Like 1

Nice grab Joe that garage is large beats my 500 sq ft 2 stall ... and i don't even do my woodworking in mine i just use it to park cars in .... so lame.

Hope you get the electrical figured out. If your going to stay there a while might as well just cut into the walls and do it right the first time. No sense messing around with poor power and bad outlet locations. Dry wall is easy to learn and the best part about it is you can sand down and start over as many times as you want.

Thought about just running the outlets with conduit in the garage, figured that would be easiest for now.  Who knows how long we'll be here, hopefully for a good while because I hate moving haha, but never know what life has in store.  I've got a couple thoughts on layout, but will be a few weeks until I can get everything in order since I'm going on a week long camping and fishing trip next weekend.  Thought about doing lumber storage on the long wall to the left if you're outside of the garage looking in.  Then on the back wall by the door entering the house, hanging some of my cabinets and building a miter saw station with cabinets I have.  Then in the right corner where the concrete walls start, thought about building a wall on the outside of the support poles to box in my dust collector and lathe, since the lathe is the ultimate mess maker.  Put all the big tools in the middle area with the most clearance space for infeed and outfeed purposes.  Then hopefully finally build an actual work bench and have it in the corner concrete section.  Possibly have peg board of something on that wall to hang tools from.  Not sure if it's smart to drill into the pour concrete walls, any thoughts on that?  Afraid it's start raining and water would shoot out haha.  It'd be easier to plan and show what I'm talking about if I could use my computer but we still have to get internet set up.  

1 hour ago, Gixxerjoe04 said:

Thought about just running the outlets with conduit in the garage, figured that would be easiest for now.  Who knows how long we'll be here, hopefully for a good while because I hate moving haha, but never know what life has in store.  I've got a couple thoughts on layout, but will be a few weeks until I can get everything in order since I'm going on a week long camping and fishing trip next weekend.  Thought about doing lumber storage on the long wall to the left if you're outside of the garage looking in.  Then on the back wall by the door entering the house, hanging some of my cabinets and building a miter saw station with cabinets I have.  Then in the right corner where the concrete walls start, thought about building a wall on the outside of the support poles to box in my dust collector and lathe, since the lathe is the ultimate mess maker.  Put all the big tools in the middle area with the most clearance space for infeed and outfeed purposes.  Then hopefully finally build an actual work bench and have it in the corner concrete section.  Possibly have peg board of something on that wall to hang tools from.  Not sure if it's smart to drill into the pour concrete walls, any thoughts on that?  Afraid it's start raining and water would shoot out haha.  It'd be easier to plan and show what I'm talking about if I could use my computer but we still have to get internet set up.  

If you don't drill all the way through you should be fine. If your really worried about it you could always put a dab of something to seal the concrete in the hole with the anchor. Honestly you should never have enough water against a foundation that this would be an issue. I know that's not always possible. If you get water coming through it usually means there are problems with drainage.

7 hours ago, drzaius said:

If water wants to come through a foundation wall, it's not going to wait for you to drill a 2" hole in it.

Haha, never dealt with a basement before so just trying to not mess stuff up.  It was nice, today I got home from work and it was probably close to 90 outside, went in my garage and noticed how much cooler it was.  Probably won't be sweating like crazy like I've dealt with in the past. 

12 hours ago, Gixxerjoe04 said:

Haha, never dealt with a basement before so just trying to not mess stuff up.  It was nice, today I got home from work and it was probably close to 90 outside, went in my garage and noticed how much cooler it was.  Probably won't be sweating like crazy like I've dealt with in the past. 

The thing about a concrete foundation wall is that it's not waterproof. If there's any hydrostatic pressure at all, water will get through. To prevent that, some kind of waterproof barrier is applied to the outside of the foundation before backfill. So drilling shallow holes on the inside will do no harm at all.