Bedside tables

-MattK-

ok, "chubby guy with jointer" video is on the list of "to dos" for @shaneymack, @Llama, and @K Cooper.  And I'm sure you perverts are now on an FBI list somewhere.

I've finished all the legs and aprons for the sides and I'm getting ready to assemble the side assemblies.  I ran into a little problem where I could use some advice. 

I'm using dominoes to connect the aprons to the legs.  I fooled around with the domino settings to get the right reveal / shadow line between the legs and aprons and decided on the 16mm setting for the aprons and the 25mm setting on the legs (going with the 6mm dominoes).  Here's where I was fooling around:

domino depth.jpg

I laid out where I wanted to put all the dominos.  I used "R" to note the reference side where I took the measurements from, "T" in a circle to note the top of that piece and "Ts" and "Ls" for the tight and loose mortises to account for wood movement.  (the wider mortises will be in the leg, not the side)

side assembly.jpg

And here's where everything went a bit wrong.  I can't fit the dang domino in to get that center stretcher done!  You can see the white mark where I want the mortise and that the center of the domino is 21 mm away because of that piece that curves back.

fat domino.jpg

So I can definitely do the domino on the right / straight leg...  but what to do on the curved leg?  Thoughts are:

• "traditional" floating tenon
  • dowel
  • Move the shelf 21mm down.  I don't really know what 21mm is in real measurements. Google tells me is 0.0459 cubits.
  • pocket hole & screw

Ok, that last one is a joke.  And the third one I'd rather not do....

Did I miss any great option?  What would you guys do?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davewyo said:

Hand cut those two mortises (morti?). Use the Domino for everything else.

Morti sounds like something from Harry Potter or Tolkien, so I think I'll adopt it!  I think you're right that this is probably the way to go.  Still might try the dowel, though that's dependent on my ability to drill square!  (of course I can make a guide for the drill to keep in square...)

2 hours ago, Immortan D said:

Cut your domino hole on a piece of MDF, attach it to your piece and use it as a template for a flush trim router bit with upper bearing.

I love this idea, but I don't think I can get a flush trim router in the space.  From the edge of the mortise to the bit where the wood curves back is ~1".

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, -MattK- said:

I love this idea, but I don't think I can get a flush trim router in the space.  From the edge of the mortise to the bit where the wood curves back is ~1".

Oh, I see it now!

And yes, if you're going to use dowels make a jig first from the hardest piece of hardwood scrap you can find. Those things are evil without jigs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric. said:

Just for the record, I don't need a video of a chubby guy using a jointer.  I've seen that one before.  Scarlett Johansson using a jointer...nude...okay then.

ok, but you're going to miss one hell of a truffle shuffle!