Workbench project

mdbuilder

great job on the bench. I have one of these on my project lists as well. My wife gave me Chris Schwarz's "The Workbench Design Book" for Christmas to help me with my project. I was also admiring your hand tool cabinet. Is that of your own design? Do you have a place for longer jointer planes? Great work!

-Guy

Yes, Ambrosia maple. Basically soft maple with a bug problem <g>, it was cheap @ $3 a BF and by chance it was all curly which annoyed the sawyer a bit when I showed him a pic a few weeks later since it would have been a dollar or two more if he had realized that. The tool cabinet is a Schwarz design, it has been in a couple of his books and probably the magazine as well. The top section is wide enough for a #7, the cabinet is 24" wide. Top section holds a #5, #6 and #7, anything up to a #4 fits in the cubbies.

Forgive me but i have to ask. How much did you spend on materials only? That is a really nice bench. I like the design and the vice layout. How many hours do you have in fab? Nice work!!!

A little less than $500 for the wood I think and about $250 for the 3 screws / skateboard wheels / bearings and a bit of steel plate / angle iron and screws for the vises. The first load of 110 BF of Ambrosia @ 2.95 / BF was enough for the top, the legs and maybe 1/2 the stretchers. I had to go back for more to finish the stretchers and get a 9"*12 foot length of 10/4 ash for the leg and sliding leg vise. I had scraps on the pile for the parallel guides and the shelf boards.

Oh yeah, hours? Dunno exactly, been working on it since a little before Thanksgiving. Maybe 80 hours? I used the heavy machinery in the initial stock prep of course, cabinet saw / 6" jointer and 20" planer. After that everything needed to be hand planed as the curly wood + staright knives on the machines resulted in a lot of tearout to cleanup. I did the flattening by hand, mortises were roughed out on the drill press and bashed square with chisels :)

Don't want to take this topic of course, but I don't suppose that you want to start another thread for that tool cabinet? That is sweet looking and I wouldn't mind getting a closer look at it. Thanks.

That is a Chris Schwarz design. You can find it in one of the Woodworking Magazine issues before it got merged into pop wood. (older one I think)