How to get noticed?

Denette

Honestly it looks like too much information for the etsy/pinterest/facebook crowd, but perhaps I'm wrong.

You should offer them a small discount for taking the unfinished option, some people will foolishly jump at saving $25 or $50 if you give them the option to finish the item on their own. Saving that time would be well worth losing $25 or $50, trust me :) Nice chairs btw.

• 2 weeks later...

Another approach to the cut off wall shelf saw marks would be to use a steel saw blade that's kinda dull and slightly bend a little more set into a tooth. This should yield a much rougher cut and appeal to the "rustic " crowd. Slightly exaggerate the uneven stack for a greater impact too.

Or cut them with a handsaw for even more texture !

Its a novel and eye catching shelf !

• Like 1

On 7/29/2016 at 0:08 PM, Aj3 said:

But it was hard to get 5 dollars for one.

Those are awesome. I want one!

On 7/29/2016 at 10:01 AM, Mike. said:

Mel's reindeer

I had no idea what the market would tolerate on them.. All I knew was that I wanted to make a certain amount with them, and had to factor in the cost the gallery was adding. Then I started making a limited run of certain ones, and really made decent money at it. I sold them all out before they were done, which was awesome.

I don't want to be in the reindeer making business, but it's a good holiday item and they aren't hard to make. To Erics point, the choice to make the reindeer out of ebony and some nice burls was a good idea. It gave my reindeer a comparative advantage. Search on google for exotic wood reindeer. My website pops up on the first three returns, and in images I have most of the first hits.

Sometimes you get lucky, and hit a gear so to speak... 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm here to hit this dead old topic with a  defibrillator and point out that if you use Facebook as an ad platform, you can do targeted ads, and you can manually select where the ads will run on a map.  I went in and manually selected the smallest possible area in the richest possible neighborhood, so I would get the wonderful audience that is people with lots of money.  I didn't throw a lot of money into my ad on Facebook because I don't have an awful lot of money, but I had moderate results.  

It may depend on your location, but around me, there are numerous local facebook groups that people sell to others basically in the same zipcode or immediate surrounding. Some are organized around specific public schools, churches or cities. Some have more of a yardsale vibe, but if you poke around and throw some of your stuff up there (if allowed by whoever runs the thing) you could generate some additional buzz. Similarly, I see people posting on craigslist with this sort of thing. They typically post their top item, whatever it is that they think is most likely to sell, and within the description they provide a link back to their page where you can view and purchase all your other designs.

I've never attempted to sell anything, so take those with a grain of salt, but they seem to be what others are doing around me, and I think they are free options.

Also, if you want to generate more buzz around your facebook page, you have to keep producing content. Try video taping yourself working on a project, or giving an instructional video about some simple woodworking skill that you are very good at. It will make your page show up on other's pages more often. Even if you just post other woodworkers projects (with proper attribution, of course) and basically just say "what do you think?" that alone seems to generate some activity. People love giving their opinion.

• 4 months later...