Morris Chair Uphostery Cost

legenddc

Well the discount has me wanting to purchase the Morris chair plan this weekend, but I'm curious what people have paid for the upholstery? I saw the one thread with the real leather upholstery that was around $1,500 each.

What has everyone else paid? Anyone tried it themselves?

Genuine leather hide costs a fortune. Not saying its not worth it, but expect to pay a pretty penny. My Morris chair is at an upholsterer right now. I brought my own fabric; a dark navy denim like material. They charge $55 per cushion but the foam is where things get expensive. Apparently the good quality foam is an oil byproduct so its not cheap. With materials and labor, mine is costing right around $500.

I was curious of this same thing.  The chair is on my list soon.

$500 seems like a lot but with a the effort that you put into a project like the Morris chair you want the cushions to hold up over time.  The cushions in most furniture today doesn't hold up at all.

Yeah that was my thinking as well. Same reasoning for using high quality hardware. After putting so much time and effort into a project, of course I'm going to spend the extra money to make sure the hardware or upholstery is top notch.

$500 is expensive yes, but compared to true high quality leather its pocket change.

Thanks guys. Not planning on leather currently. I'm about to buy the plans, could you have it reuphostered easily? I have a year and a half year old so I may go with a cheaper or more durable fabric initially and then have it recovered in the future.

Looks like between the wood and upholstery it will be at least $1,000.

16 hours ago, mkrusen said:

Genuine leather hide costs a fortune. Not saying its not worth it, but expect to pay a pretty penny. My Morris chair is at an upholsterer right now. I brought my own fabric; a dark navy denim like material. They charge $55 per cushion but the foam is where things get expensive. Apparently the good quality foam is an oil byproduct so its not cheap. With materials and labor, mine is costing right around $500.

Can you post a picture of your chair when it's back?

I will definitely post pictures in my journal thread when I get the chair back. You can certainly get things reupholstered. It will be cheaper than the initial upholstery job because you'll already have the foam in place. You could also have the upholsterer make the cushions have a zipper and use them like a slip cover so you can wash them.