Ugh.

Dknapp34

34 minutes ago, Eric. said:

No thanks.

Agreed! That's no way to live! People that do that are better off flipping burgers are some chain restaurant. Way I look at it, I'd rather make three pieces for a gajillion dorrah, than make a gazillion pieces for three dorrah per. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Llama said:

Looks alright... I wish I could charge those prices though! 

Meh, never really liked their stuff... Or maybe its just prejudice against any company with a "Our Story" link on their website.

I like live edge pieces, but it requires very specific character, not to much, and not too little. I don't like when its paired with black iron legs though. Overdone and just too easy.

45 minutes ago, BonPacific said:

Meh, never really liked their stuff... Or maybe its just prejudice against any company with a "Our Story" link on their website.

I like live edge pieces, but it requires very specific character, not to much, and not too little. I don't like when its paired with black iron legs though. Overdone and just too easy.

I think the idea of the black iron legs is to not distract from the beautiful slab you are displaying. I can actually agree to that sort of logic, if you've got a really nicely chosen slab.

Now, when it comes to price, how much would I pay for that slab with a couple butterflies and some legs attached with screws? Probably not that much, considering the effort it would take for me or another person to duplicate the result. So I think it can look nice and still be a rather inexpensive piece.

2 hours ago, Llama said:

Agreed! That's no way to live! People that do that are better off flipping burgers are some chain restaurant. Way I look at it, I'd rather make three pieces for a gajillion dorrah, than make a gazillion pieces for three dorrah per. 

I was just joking about how much less sales work you could do...of course it's a better life. People only do the bargain thing because they A) can't make things that nice and B ) would still have a lot of trouble selling them if they did. 

4 hours ago, Llama said:

I do a mix of production work and things I find interesting.  I don't give the stuff away though, there's a decent margin on it.  The production work gives me a base income so I don't have to worry as much about how profitable the rest of what I do is.  If I wasn't doing the production work I wouldn't have the tools that I use to do the fun stuff.  Or be able to have a piece sit on a shelf for five years until the right person comes along.  Or be able to tell someone who lowballs me on said piece where he can stick his offer.  On the other hand my other hand is just getting over my knuckle swelling up like a grape from all the crap I was doing.  And my other other hand is sore from opening and closing spring clamps for two days straight.  So it's about having a balance between the two for me, and hopefully the older I get the more the balance swings away from the production work.  

• Like 1