Mahogany sword

shaneymack

9 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

This is really cool. Your son has better skills on the bandsaw then i do. I can't follow a line to save my life. Neevr used a spoke shave so he's probably better with that then me too.

LOL. Thanks, Drew, he will appreciate your post. He did do surprisingly well even though he didnt do it the way I was trying to teach him. I like to use my front hand anchored to the table and it acts as a stable guide and the back hand pushes and turns. If you look at the photos he didnt quite get that. Thats ok, one step at a time, I dont want to bombard him. For me, it was a good learning experience because he listened to me about keeping his hands out of the danger zone. 

As for the spokeshave, he did really well for the first time. Next time I will try to get him to take a lighter finger tip grip. He was kind of death gripping it which is kinda understandable. He did learn to skew it a bit and was doing that. 

All in all an awesome experience for the two of us. I love teaching woodworking and he was quite receptive. He got home from school yesterday and the first thing he said was, "Dad, can we go in the shop !!" Unfortunately our schedule didnt permit but we will get in there soon to get it finished up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shaneymack said:

LOL. Thanks, Drew, he will appreciate your post. He did do surprisingly well even though he didnt do it the way I was trying to teach him. I like to use my front hand anchored to the table and it acts as a stable guide and the back hand pushes and turns. If you look at the photos he didnt quite get that. Thats ok, one step at a time, I dont want to bombard him. For me, it was a good learning experience because he listened to me about keeping his hands out of the danger zone. 

As for the spokeshave, he did really well for the first time. Next time I will try to get him to take a lighter finger tip grip. He was kind of death gripping it which is kinda understandable. He did learn to skew it a bit and was doing that. 

All in all an awesome experience for the two of us. I love teaching woodworking and he was quite receptive. He got home from school yesterday and the first thing he said was, "Dad, can we go in the shop !!" Unfortunately our schedule didnt permit but we will get in there soon to get it finished up. 

Huh i use your method as well maybe I'll have to try his. I'd say you should teach me how to use a spoke shave but i bet I'd be a bad student i have a lot of bad habits from a time i didn't know better.

BTW did you hear that Lee Valley's last day of free shipping is today :P.

HAHA ! I got the shipping refunded for the last order! No more orders for me, i stopped at my Festool dealer earlier this week.....

What's on order from Festool?

I love how one of the featured products in the LV email blast about last day of free shipping is a toast holder or something!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

What's on order from Festool?

I love how one of the featured products in the LV email blast about last day of free shipping is a toast holder or something!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Nothing too intersting, a ct sys vac and the new syslite duo.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
Not true you can be the super hero that gives him a good day after the fact. My dad is still saving the day and I'm 28.

Very true. Not sure you got what I was saying though. I meant that I won't be able to prevent his first girlfriend from slaying his heart in a million pieces. I'm sure most of us have been there.

1 minute ago, shaneymack said:

Very true. Not sure you got what I was saying though. I meant that I won't be able to prevent his first girlfriend from slaying his heart in a million pieces. I'm sure most of us have been there.

Eh, they're notorious for not listening once they start dating even if you could help them. 

• Like 1

I thought for sure the story was going to be about how you cut the tips off all your fingers at the jointer because he distracted you, and had to super glue them shut to stop the bleeding....

If I haven't cut anything off yet with my wife coming in the shop and yelling for my attention surely he was not enough of a distraction.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Yeah but you didn't prevent his sword from being broken you just helped him fix it. I feel like i learned more form the mistakes that my dad helped me fix then i ever learned from him preventing things from happening.

Love the sword! My dad built my brother and I a sword and shield set when we were younger. We spent many hours beating the snot out of each other. Mom wasn't very happy!

Hahah! That's awesome! I hope my boy will have great memories from this as well. Hope he doesn't beat his siblings with it though :)

Just now, shaneymack said:

Hahah! That's awesome! I hope my boy will have great memories from this as well. Hope he doesn't beat his siblings with it though :)

Yeah I think he made them for us because we kept taking his dowels and cracking them over each other. Now that I buy my own wood it's a wonder he didn't beat us with them

Shane

I just came across this. I was scrolling thru enjoying the pics and your journaling and was smiling the whole time. Warmed my heart. It really is great to see you teaching and working with your son in the shop. It must have made his day to fire up that bandsaw and cut out his design on it. At 10 years old that would have blown my mind. 

Cant wait to see the finished sword especially with some ARS on it!!!

• Like 1

Shane

I just came across this. I was scrolling thru enjoying the pics and your journaling and was smiling the whole time. Warmed my heart. It really is great to see you teaching and working with your son in the shop. It must have made his day to fire up that bandsaw and cut out his design on it. At 10 years old that would have blown my mind. 

Cant wait to see the finished sword especially with some ARS on it!!!

Thanks Alan!