Standalone circular saw vs track saw

bushwacked

1 hour ago, Robert Morse said:

FWIW, I own and love the Makita tracksaw, but I HATE the latches on the Makita psuedo-systainer.  They're really hard to open and close, and I always feel like they're going to break when I attempt to access box.  I now leave mine unlatched on the shelf, unless I actually need to carry it in the box someplace.

I agree 100%.  I think when I get doors on the cabinet the saw lives in, I might lose the systainer altogether.  The latches are truly awful, and there are a bunch of em. 

7 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

I agree 100%.  I think when I get doors on the cabinet the saw lives in, I might lose the systainer altogether.  The latches are truly awful, and there are a bunch of em. 

Oh man you are right the systainer is crap. Good thing it has no relevance to how great it works haha. 

So I responded a year ago and was awaiting delivery of my ts55. I went festool over the Makita for various reasons.  I have had zero complaints with the saw. The only complain with the entire system is that the tape under the track I bought separately did not like to stick the zero clearance piece very well. I had to replace it after a few cuts because it wouldn't stick so obviously wasn't working right. One call to ft and they sent me a took of about 15 feet of the plastic zero clearance. I have not had to touch it on any other tracks

While I agree that the festool is most likely the best I'm hoping to have the Makita as soon as I can afford.  I cut all my plywood on the tablesaw and that wont change but there are a lot of times in the shop and jobsite one would make life easer.  Borrowed a Makita from a friend to cut down a faceframe on a job and liked it.  Not the best but more affordable for me.   Its my next tool and looking forward to one.

40 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

You say that now.  Not having to worry about keeping a full sheet against the fence, not lifting it and having to support on both sides is great with the track saw and long track

I don't no.  You see the job I'm doing now is 15 sheets of 3/4 ply.  Near my saw I store my ply standing up thanks to help from my dealer.  So its just a matter of taking 5 steps over to the saw and breaking it down.  It is a PNTA believe using my arms and my head to balance the darn thing  and get the front of the sheet on the fence rail so I can then get behind it   If I used a tracksaw  instead of what I'm doing I would still need to store plywood standing up and get each sheet over to where I could lay it down and be bent over cutting the ply witch to me seems like just as much or more work, more time and my back would not like it.  It doesn't take me long at all the way I do it but in no way is it fun. I will say to be honest moving full sheets around is not as easy as it was so things my change someday.

On 12/1/2017 at 12:55 AM, bushwacked said:

I love my makita track saw! If you get one I would highly recommend buying a longer 14-2 cord so you can have plenty of cord cutting down full sheets of plywood. Mine is now 15' and never have an issue anymore.

On 12/1/2017 at 1:18 AM, Chet said:

Welcome to the forums Kyle

I think in the long run you would be much happier with the track saw.  It is great for its designed purpose and can also be used with out the track just as any regular circular saw can be.  I lot of people here have the Festool models but I know that the Makita mentioned above got top marks in some magazine reviews as a "Best Value".

These are all noted. Thanks! :D