looking for small cutoffs for the wood ID site

phinds

If you're one of the woodworkers who find my site useful for wood ID, I'd appreciate contributions of cutoffs in some of the woods I'm short on (list below). Since I'm not looking for wood to MAKE things with, the occasional crack or knot is no problem. I'll pay shipping if you want and I have a TON of veneer for trade if you want something in return. I can use sizes as small as the IWCS standard sample size (1/2" x 3" x 6") and would actually prefer that nothing be much bigger than that. A bit bigger is fine, particularly 3/4" thick instead of 1/2" but I'm much more interested in variety than size.

I'm most interested in variety and pieces that are reasonably representative of the particular wood. For example, flat cut AND quartersawn pieces of the same species would be particularly great as would pieces from different trees, showing somewhat different characteristics.

If you have anything, PM me and I'll respond w/ my address.

Thanks,

Paul

image1.jpg

1 minute ago, phinds said:

Nuts. I checked it in Firefox and it's fine but in IE there's nothing there. @Eric any idea what's going on?

You're hot linking to a site that requires user-login. You can probably see it in Firefox because you are logged in on that browser. Download the image and re-upload here?

5 minutes ago, BonPacific said:

You're hot linking to a site that requires user-login. You can probably see it in Firefox because you are logged in on that browser. Download the image and re-upload here?

Thanks. That's odd since all I did was paste a JPG file. I didn't knowingly link to anything, and my signature link is to a site that does not require login.

EDIT: OK, I changed it to an UPLOAD of a JPG file instead of pasting the file and that works in IE and Chrome.

2 minutes ago, BonPacific said:

Agreed, that is odd. If I open the image, it takes me to this site: http://woodbarter.com/ with a big red error.

does it still do that now that I've changed the post or are you talking about my signature. NOTHING in this thread should take you to Wood Barter.

EDIT: AAARRRGGG ... OK, I figured it out. I copied the JPG from Wood Barter to my image manipulation program and then pasted it here. How that carried the Wood Barter link I don't know but clearly it did. Anyway, I've deleted that versions of the JPG

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

By coffee tree are you referring to what is commonly called Kentucky Coffeebean?  I'm afraid that's basically the only one I can help with unless I go cut down my neighbor's pin oak or Norway spruce.

Yep, that's the one, but you SHOULD cut down your neighbor's pin oak for sure :lol:

• Like 2

I think I may have some Alaskan Yellow Cedar. If not, I will hopefully have some in a month or two at most. I need to replace a board in our deck. I'll get back to you...

Oh...I forgot to add...I can cut you a piece of Tamarisk next time I'm in the desert. Is a freshly cut branch alright?

...And by Tamarisk I assume you're referring to the invasive species also called Salt Cedar.

19 minutes ago, davewyo said:

I think I may have some Alaskan Yellow Cedar. If not, I will hopefully have some in a month or two at most. I need to replace a board in our deck. I'll get back to you...

Oh...I forgot to add...I can cut you a piece of Tamarisk next time I'm in the desert. Is a freshly cut branch alright?

...And by Tamarisk I assume you're referring to the invasive species also called Salt Cedar.

Yep tamarisk = salt cedar = Tamarix spp. (several species)

12 minutes ago, phinds said:

Yep tamarisk = salt cedar = Tamarix spp. (several species)

Sounds good. I can cut a section from a clump next time I'm in the Lake Powell, Utah area(which is quite often). There are Tamarisk all along the Colorado River. They're using some kind of imported beetle to try and control the invasive shrubs.

40 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

How big does the lilac need to be to be helpful?

Anything that is at least 1/2" thick by 1" wide by 3" long is usable, but just barely. Smaller than that and I can't process it to get my end grain closeup.

4 minutes ago, phinds said:

Anything that is at least 1/2" thick by 1" wide by 3" long is usable, but just barely. Smaller than that and I can't process it to get my end grain closeup.

So you truly need a plant at least 1.5 to 2" thick as it grows? Then any three or four inch length will do?

29 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

So you truly need a plant at least 1.5 to 2" thick as it grows? Then any three or four inch length will do?

1.5" thick is enough but more is better. At 1.5" wide I can just barely keep in in the batch holder for end grain processing. 2" is solid

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Hey Paul why don't you put together a journal on the steps you take to prep and photograph the samples ? The shaving & sanding plus the lighting of the shot would definitely interest me.

It's already on the site. Just click on any of the "END GRAIN UPDATE" links.

I have some paulownia and some sinker cypress, but don't have anything in off cuts at the moment.  I'd have to cut into a nice piece to have anything for you at the moment.  I'll keep you in mind when I cut those pieces for a job.  Feel free to remind me in a month or two if you still need them and I have not gotten back to you.

44 minutes ago, Pete Staehling said:

I have some paulownia and some sinker cypress, but don't have anything in off cuts at the moment.  I'd have to cut into a nice piece to have anything for you at the moment.  I'll keep you in mind when I cut those pieces for a job.  Feel free to remind me in a month or two if you still need them and I have not gotten back to you.

Thanks Pete. I'm never in any hurry.