Drill Press question

Doomwolf

Hi all. I'm looking to get a drill press for the shop, and there is a used Powerfist model for $80 about an hour away from me. The seller says that 'it might need some tuning, it wobbles a little. Is this something that is probably easy to fix, or am I better off biting the bullet and spending $500+ on something brand new?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/ottawa/stand-drill-press-16-speeds/1233970923

Honestly,just about anything Powerfist is just complete junk. Maybe OK something like an angle grinder that requires no precision & will only be used occasionally. But unless a drill press is spot on, your better with just a hand held drill.

I wouldn't take that even if it was free. Just not worth the frustration.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, drzaius said:

Honestly,just about anything Powerfist is just complete junk. Maybe OK something like an angle grinder that requires no precision & will only be used occasionally. But unless a drill press is spot on, your better with just a hand held drill.

I wouldn't take that even if it was free. Just not worth the frustration.

I have to agree - especially if it's already got issues, a Princess Auto tool in that state is already headed for the scrap heap.

21 minutes ago, RichardA said:

Take a look at the Grizzly drill press G7943,  at $350 it's worth every dime...  I bought one last year, and it's accurate as hell for a bench top model.  They put the same head on a longer pole and sell it as a floor model.  

Since I'm assuming you're in Canada with the PowerFist reference, they've got almost the same one at Busy Bee under the Craftex brand. With the exchange it works out to close to the same price.

Thank you all for the advice. It sounds like the overwhelming opinion is to buy new unless you know what you're getting into, which I don't really. I wish my grandfather MacDonald was still alive, he was a master machinist for years and would know what was worth repairing.

@RichardA @SawDustB I presume these are the models you're talking about. As always, everything is more expensive this side of 49, but there is a Busy Bee location in Ottawa so I could get the Craftex model without having to pay shipping. Thank you very much for the recommendations. FWIW, the grizzly has really good reviews (4.8/5 stars on nine reviews)

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Speed-Heavy-Duty-Bench-Top-Drill-Press/G7943?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

http://www.busybeetools.com/products/drill-press-14in-3-4hp-bench-w-laser-csa-ct019n.html

Thank you all for the advice. It sounds like the overwhelming opinion is to buy new unless you know what you're getting into, which I don't really. I wish my grandfather MacDonald was still alive, he was a master machinist for years and would know what was worth repairing.

@RichardA @SawDustB I presume these are the models you're talking about. As always, everything is more expensive this side of 49, but there is a Busy Bee location in Ottawa so I could get the Craftex model without having to pay shipping. Thank you very much for the recommendations. FWIW, the grizzly has really good reviews (4.8/5 stars on nine reviews)

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Speed-Heavy-Duty-Bench-Top-Drill-Press/G7943?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

http://www.busybeetools.com/products/drill-press-14in-3-4hp-bench-w-laser-csa-ct019n.html

Yes, that's the one. I've considered the floor model version of that drill press, but I've kept going with my little MasterCraft one for now. I'm in Halifax, so I feel your pain about trying to buy equipment here.

• 1 month later...

Awesome.  Wait, what's that little voice I hear . . . ?

(read in a small whispering voice) "Build me a table, build me a table".

I had to dig onto the archives but, here's a table and fence that I built in an afternoon and used for years.  Sold it with the little DP back in 2007.  Its just MDF with hardboard laminated to the top.  The t-solts are milled into the wood, no t-track.  I think it was my take on an old ShopNotes table.

58e94de3cc18e_SmallDPTable.JPG.9868f80fe7e7b073b37d1ef023ba24e0.JPG

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to do something like that. A heck of a lot cheaper than the DP table Lee Valley sells, and it's metal, so drilling into it would be a bad idea. Of course, the first thing I really need to do is run some tests and make sure everything is setup to drill square.