Sharpening Guide For Knives

Immortan D

I need a good sharpening guide for my knives, including those short ones in my multi tools.

After doing some research, looks like the Apex system could do a fine job: Apex 4 Kit – Apex Model Edge Pro Sharpening System but I'm not sure.

The Apex also has an attachment for chisels, hand plane blades, scissors, etc, available separately as an accessory.

I was about to order both items but I'd rather ask here first :D

Recommendations?

FTR I don't want an electric sharpening system, just a foolproof sharpening guide.

I have the Spyderco Sharpmaker as well as an Edge Pro Apex knock-off. Both do a pretty good job; quality of the stones of the Spyderco Sharpmaker are higher, the kit is very portable, and it is quick and simple to setup for use. Downsides are that the grits are limited out of the box and you won't be able to reprofile an edge. It also relies on you maintaining a consistent vertical angle while sharpening.

The cheap "Edge Pro Apex" clone stones that I have are meh. What I do like about the EPA is that you have a lot more consistent and precise control on setting the degree of a bevel. Pros are that you can really obtain a very keen edge, and even "make" your own stones for it to get whatever edge you want. Downsides are that the setup takes a bit longer, and you must set the jig/holder per knife. You can't really "batch" sharpen knives.

If you decide on the EPA, either get the original Apex kit, or if purchasing the knock-off, use the saved cash to buy genuine stones (Shaptons/Chosera I hear are nice too).

No experience with the scissor/chisel attachment for it; I would be interested about that as well.

• Like 1

Thanks Al. I will follow your advice if I go with the Apex.

4 hours ago, gee-dub said:

Wow, that really takes this system to the "nth" degree.  I've actually worn out stones and replaced them on my Lansky.  I think it was $18 when I bought it.

Actually I'm also considering a Smiths kit LOL. It's about $40 and apparently it gets the job done, according to the average youtuber. Plus I don't even have to order online, a local hardware store carries them and I can return it if I don't like it. I think I will go get one tomorrow, pick the dullest knife I have and give it a try. 

Iv actually been looking to get a system like that too but keep telling myself i should just get better at hand sharpening considering i do everything else free hand. Just cant seem to get knives down... or at least consistently.

Whatever you choose to pull the trigger on, if you remember, let us know how it goes.

After sharpening half a dozen knives, my recommendations for this kit:

* Use the 25° setting for pocket knives and hunting knives. I wasn't able to get a sharp edge with the 20° setting. I haven't tried the other two settings though.

* Finish up with a ceramic sharpener or stone. I used the Victorinox ceramic pen, I got excellent results with just a few passes.

i have that same "kit".

i don't like it.

long blades it is - okay,- shorter blades will test your patience

such as a pocket knife - <4" blade

had it for 7-8 years now, it does make blades sharp, but i don't feel it is very user friendly

2 hours ago, ghost said:

i have that same "kit".

i don't like it.

long blades it is - okay,- shorter blades will test your patience

such as a pocket knife - <4" blade

had it for 7-8 years now, it does make blades sharp, but i don't feel it is very user friendly

Agreed. Not comfortable to use. Clamping small knives is a PITA. But since I'm not going to use it for kitchen knives, just for my hunting and utility knives, and considering I don't have many of them, the kit is a good bang for the buck. It won't damage my blades like other cheapo solutions would do. And it's compact and fairly easier to setup when compared to the top of the line kits.