Circle Cutting Jig

lewisc

Thanks. I'll have to try that out. The ease of using the jig outweighs a small hole in the bottom but if it can be avoided, even better. 

The top is made from scraps. I've got another that is the opposite in colour thAt will be a matched pair. 

IMG_4619.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Yes, that method does work great. I've used it a few times myself. It almost guarantees a perfectly round cut and it's quite fast when compared to routing circles. You can have a smaller hole if you just use a screw up through the table and then carefully drop the work down onto the screw point in the right position, It will be a smaller hole, but will still be there. If you really wanted to avoid the hole you could attach another likely smaller piece of wood to the bottom of the work with double sided tape and have the center hole in this scrap piece, thereby eliminating the hole in the work piece, but it's usually not worth the effort, since nobody ever really looks at the bottom of tables, etc. anyway.

That's going to be a couple of interesting,...table tops?? Or what are they going to be? I want to see the rest when they are finished..You are definitely off to a good start.

Charley

I was looking at the Carter jig a while back, while on their site looking at guides, and wondered why any woodworker would buy one.   I've used one like yours for a long time, and have never had to make another one because of too many holes for the center pin, but I don't turn stuff very often.

8 hours ago, K Cooper said:

This forum runs the gamut from pulled pork to padouk. 

Yeah, Good point. One thing I enjoy about this forum is the amount of 'best practice' knowledge that is shared. Most of the time the tips/processes and methods work on so many different projects. 

I finished these with a wipe on poly (sanding between coats) and it was so easy. I've added another finishing method to my tool belt that I probably wouldn't have come across if it wasn't for this forum. My oil blend finish has taken a back seat in the last few months. It's still useful for some projects but now I know a little better that it's not for everything.

Looks like woodworking to me.   How did you sand the edges?   I would have screwed on a faceplate, and smoothed the edges on a lathe.   I made a faceplace centering "jig" that uses the hole for the circle jig pin as the center, by finding a holesaw that left a plug the same size as the I.D. of the screw hole in my faceplates.  Circle jig pin is same size as center bit in holesaw.  It automatically centers the faceplate.

• 3 months later...