jorgy parallel clamps

jimmykx250

I just saw a flyer for menards listing the jorgensen 48" parallel clamp for 29.99 each! With the reviews i have read im going to buy a few and give them a try. I also just noticed at rockler they have an in store flyer listing a 30" bessy k body for the same price limit one per customer.

For what its worth I have a few jorgy's and havent had any problems. I notice no difference between them and my besseys

I have all Jorgys and like them very much. They best way to get those clamp are to take that flyer to Home Depot and get an additional 10% off. That is what I do. I get all my parallel clamps there that way. I have a few of them too. Good luck.

I mostly use the Besseys. I do have a few Jorgies as well. Never had a problem with either. I like the grip better on the Besseys but that's a personel preference. I also sometimes use the Bessey little stand-off do-ma-jiggies that you stick on the bar. I don't buy the Jets because they are made in China, but I've heard good things.

Rockler and Woodcraft also make parallel jaw clamps. I have received some of each as gifts. All the ones I've had have been NOTICABLY out of parallel, and I returned them. My opinion is that the Rockler and Woodcraft are crap. But they are cheap and I can understand if you are desperate for clamping pressure and on a tight budget. I'd advise to sort through them in person and pick out the most parallel ones rather than ordering them on line.

I mostly use the Besseys. I do have a few Jorgies as well. Never had a problem with either. I like the grip better on the Besseys but that's a personel preference. I also sometimes use the Bessey little stand-off do-ma-jiggies that you stick on the bar. I don't buy the Jets because they are made in China, but I've heard good things.

Rockler and Woodcraft also make parallel jaw clamps. I have received some of each as gifts. All the ones I've had have been NOTICABLY out of parallel, and I returned them. My opinion is that the Rockler and Woodcraft are crap. But they are cheap and I can understand if you are desperate for clamping pressure and on a tight budget. I'd advise to sort through them in person and pick out the most parallel ones rather than ordering them on line.

This may have changed since they were first introduced, but the Woodcraft parallel jaw clamps were made by Bessey. May be different now that they're made with the Woodriver name on them. I'll have to check when I'm at work tomorrow.

I picked up 4 jorgys and have used them already. Love em and 26 bucks for a 4 foot clamp is a steal in my book. Big clamp head for sure the only negative thing i can say is the handles are too smooth- not enough grip like the bessys. I have an idea that will get around that though.

Thanks for the 10% idea sac well worth the effort.

I have Besseys and Jets and have used Jorgensens. The Jets are by far my favourites because you can position the clamping head wherever you like along the bar and they will stay there. I like the Besseys the least. The jorgensens have bigger clamping faces and bigger handles than the Besseys.

Just curious, are you referring to the original Bessey K-bodys or the newer REVO Bessey's. I think the newer Bessey's have bigger clamping faces than the older ones. I also find the newer Bessey's better for positioning of the clamp head. Again, I won't buy JET. But I'm kind of curious if I'm missing out on something. I've never heard anyone say they like the JETs and Jorgies better than the Bessey's. Am I really missing out by taking my stand against JET?

I'm anxious for more imput.

Thanks.

Just curious, are you referring to the original Bessey K-bodys or the newer REVO Bessey's. I think the newer Bessey's have bigger clamping faces than the older ones. I also find the newer Bessey's better for positioning of the clamp head. Again, I won't buy JET. But I'm kind of curious if I'm missing out on something. I've never heard anyone say they like the JETs and Jorgies better than the Bessey's. Am I really missing out by taking my stand against JET?

Thanks.

Great question, Chet,

When I commented on the size, I was referring to the original K-bodies. I don't know how close the new Revo clamps are to the others. After doing my dry fit, I like to stand my clamps on end, leaning against my bench. The Jets have no problem holding their positioniong, but with the Besseys it's almost hopeless - the clamping jaw nearly always slides closed. My use of the Revo clamps is fairly limited, but I have noticed that they still don't hold their positioning when vertical.

Once, I picked up a clamp that was laying flat and lifted it so the head was at the top. There clamping face was not clamped against the opposite face so it slid down and gave me a nasty blood blister. I learned to carry them clamping-head-down.

The Revo-Vario clamps have the moveable jaw where you depress a button on the back of the jaw to slide it. It would be great if the clamping jaw had the same mechanism.

Thanks.

Great question, Chet,

When I commented on the size, I was referring to the original K-bodies, which I have four of. So I took some measureents and found the jaw sizes. I don't have any Jorgensen's but I pulled the specs off the Lee Valley site:

Bessey K-Body: 1-1/2 x 5-1/8"

Bessey Revo: 2 x 5-3/4"

Jorgensen: 1-7/8 x 6"

Jet: 1-3/4 x 6"

Note that the jaw size includes the unuseable area occupied by the bar. The "reach" area of each clamp is:

Bessey K-Body: 1-1/2 x 3-3/8"

Bessey Revo: 2 x 3-3/4

Jorgensen Cabinet Master: 1-7/8 x 3-3/4"

Jet: 1-3/4" x 4-1/8"

After doing my dry fit, I like to stand my clamps on end, leaning against my bench. The Jets have no problem holding their positioniong, but with the Besseys it's almost hopeless - the clamping jaw nearly always slides closed. My have a pair of Revo clamps (I bought the 78"ers because they were the only brand available locally), and I have noticed that they still don't hold their positioning when vertical.

Once, I picked up a clamp that was laying flat and lifted it so the head was at the top. There clamping face was not clamped against the opposite face so it slid down and gave me a nasty blood blister. I learned to carry them clamping-head-down.

The Revo-Vario clamps have the moveable jaw where you depress a button on the back of the jaw to slide it. It would be great if the clamping jaw had the same mechanism.

I really like the grippy handles of the new Bessey Revo and Vario-Revos, but overall, I think the Jets are the better clamp.

I prefer the Jorgy's over Bessy's anyday...........just because they slide better. Never had a problem with any of mine failing, granted that's because whenever I try to build something it just all becomes kindling anyway. So they just sit and look pretty and expensive on the wall.

So Jim, are you disspelling the myth that a woodworker can never have enough clamps?

I see what you mean about the clamp sliding when you use them in the vertical postition. Not sure if im missing something with my new jorgy's but when vertical they just slide- I guess they are really intended to be used in the horizontal position. I still like the clamp though just need more grip on the handles.

but overall, I think the Jets are the better clamp.

Thanks for all the info.

I don't want to get political but I'm sticking with the K-body Revos assembled in the US, or the Jorgies which are made in the city I was born, Chicago, IL. I won't get the Chinese made Jets, unless they were appreciably better. And it doesn't sound like they are.

One thing I love about the K-Body Revos is the little plastic do-hickies which are on the bar of the clamp and hold the sides of my cabinets parallel. When I got them the first time, I thought they were kind of gimicie. But they actually work really well.

Thanks for all the information though.