Go To Wood choices?

jHop

Not going to run a poll on this, because of all the options. But I'm curious to know what your favorite wood is on those go-to situations. The ones where you have a project in mind that will not take a lot of time?

Not the same as your preferred wood, but what type of wood do you turn to when you have little time to choose?

My personal favorite (currently) is a tie between poplar and walnut. But that's partly because I'm in a turning and small pen box phase right now.

What's your favorite wood to turn to when you absolutely need to?

Not going to run a poll on this, because of all the options. But I'm curious to know what your favorite wood is on those go-to situations. The ones where you have a project in mind that will not take a lot of time?

Not the same as your preferred wood, but what type of wood do you turn to when you have little time to choose?

My personal favorite (currently) is a tie between poplar and walnut. But that's partly because I'm in a turning and small pen box phase right now.

What's your favorite wood to turn to when you absolutely need to?

Partly its what I have in stock, but cherry is usually my go to wood. Great workability, beautiful with or without figure, easy to finish, and only gets more beautiful with age.

Really it would be whatever I have on hand, if there is enough. Lately I have to go and buy whatever I need because I don't have enough for an entire project. If I were turning pens, I would have all kinds of wood to choose from. I just got some Sapele and it is really nice to work with.

Currently its Oak,pine,walnut or cedar becauses thats what my wood racks are over flowing with but as they get depleted it all depends what I happen to get my hands on next, but if your asking IF i had zero wood stored and I suddenly realized I needed to build something fast that wasn't going to someone who paid me to build it and it was just slap it together and get it done I would just use pine because even if it turns out looking like crap but serves it function then I am not out much money.

Maple, walnut... depends on what I'm doing. Tamboti is great for small stuff and I love the smell when I'm working with it. Tough on tools and sandpaper though. Conversely, I don't care for oak. Oak is everywhere and I just don't like it. It smells weird, tough on tools, and I don't care for the look. I also don't care for wenge because it makes me itchy and uncomfortable.

Any wood that I haven't used before. Seriously, the fun and discovery is the appeal and there's so many species out there that I've not met.

Having just moved, I'm crammed into a glorified closet in our basement awaiting the spring thaw. In the meantime, I'm doing a dovetailed box out of Aspen. Something I've never used before and a mild, user-friendly stroll down Neanderthal lane. (All the heavy power tools are packed up awaiting their new home.)