Dust collection -- on the far end

collinb

While the shop vac works *generally* I'm running into something where, I suspect, even a heftier vac might fail.

It seems my table saw piles up the dust inside the cabinet. I just cleaned it out Sunday and was disappointed. Could that be because the side panel has enough air leakage so that airflow to the outlet is reduced? Lots of dust is extracted but too much remains and piles up in the corners.

I have a Delta "non cabinet" contractor style with cast iron top and wings and enclosed bottom with a 4" dust port that's hooked to my 1.5hp dust collector. Yes my saw collects dust, a considerable amount. What I do when it's time for a blade change, unplug the saw and reach my hand down and stir-up the dust so the collector can pull it all out. Then hit it with compressed air, until cleaned out. 

The way I figure it, hell- of- a lot better than sweeping sawdust from off the floor :D

-Ace-

• Like 1

If I read correctly, you're using a shop vac to collect the dust from your table saw.  Generally, a shop vac does not pull enough air (CFM) to collect the dust from a table saw (or most power tools, for that matter).  Also, I wouldn't worry about a little sawdust piling up in the corners as much as I would the dust kicked up into the air (and your lungs).  Do you wear a respirator?

• Like 1

I had this problem where I ran a cabinet saw a decade ago. I toyed with drilling and attaching an air fitting through the cabinet in the corner where it piled. A bump of air every so often might have negated the need to open the beast up twice a year. I also think this would not be effective with a shop vac. Just noodling as I am prone to do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jfitz said:

If I read correctly, you're using a shop vac to collect the dust from your table saw.  Generally, a shop vac does not pull enough air (CFM) to collect the dust from a table saw (or most power tools, for that matter).  Also, I wouldn't worry about a little sawdust piling up in the corners as much as I would the dust kicked up into the air (and your lungs).  Do you wear a respirator?

But of course.

Shop vacs are designed to extract dust from small tools with small ports...they work on velocity, not CFM  A table saw requires way more CFM than a dust vac can provide, like John said.  Harbor Freight 2HP DC is only $200, and I think you can still use a coupon against that price.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Harbor Freight 2HP DC is only $200, and I think you can still use a coupon against that price.

I tried to get my brother to go this route.  HF 2HP DC is $170-ish (with a coupon that seems like it is in every month's issue of Wood magazine). It has a 5micron filter, so I'd recommend upgrading it with a better filter (from $125 at Wynn).  If you really get into it, you could replace or rejigger the pipe from the motor/ to the housing (i.e. mount the motor directly to the housing) for better airflow.  Call it $300 for a decent unit for the cost conscious.

You could definitely go with the HF DC, which I almost did for a temporary solution (shop is being torn up and rebuilt) until I found this review http://www.portercable.com/uploads/PCD/Documents/News/182DustCollectors.pdf   (look at the chart on page 67) which shows every other 1.5HP dc outperforming the HF 2HP (central machinery) DC due to its undersized 10" impeller (most 2HP have 12"+ size impellers).  So I instead went on CL to look for a 1.5HP DC, which there is never a shortage of units for sale!  I can get a used 1.5HP DC with better performance on CL for the same price as a new HF unit.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you do.

Carl

A shopvac could be effective given the right design. For example, the dewalt jobsite saw has a shroud covering the blade under the table that connects to a 2.5" port. Think of it like a mini version of the old oliver 260 design. I found the dust collection to be superb on that dewalt saw with a shopvac. I also had good collection with a 6" port directly under my delta contractor saw's blade. I modded the bottom of the cabinet with one of those generic 6" dust hoods you can buy at rockler/woodcraft. The dust collection design on that saw was nonexistent, but with a 1500-1600cfm from my 3hp cyclone, it worked well enough. Might makes right, correct? If you could fashion a blade shroud under the blade and connect to a shopvac, i think you would be in business. Otherwise, you need more DC to compensate for the lack of design. 

4658-B.jpg

2 hours ago, Carl10 said:

I can get a used 1.5HP DC with better performance on CL for the same price as a new HF unit

Really?  Wow, you live in a pretty good area.  The only things around here for less $ are the 1HP units (like the jet 650).  If you can pick up one of the better units, then of course that should be considered.  I've read that review many times - it's usually a case of you get what you pay for.  The cheapest unit has the lowest performance, but for a low cost solution it might be workable.  If budget allows, the other units would certainly work better.

Note - for anyone in these areas who might be looking, I did see a few Delta 50-760 collectors on CL at good prices - I hardly ever see them posted.  This model CLEARLY outperforms the Central Machinery unit, and is the "Top Tool" of that review mentioned by Carl.

Falmouth, MA : https://southcoast.craigslist.org/tls/d/delta-shop-dust-collector-15hp/6309250192.html

Scotland, CT : https://hartford.craigslist.org/tls/d/dust-collector/6275778107.html

• Like 1