Sick kapex :(

rodger.

My first real experience with Festool customer service. My kapex was cutting pretty far out of square, so I called them for advice.

The Festool guy said not to attempt to calibrate it. He suggested I send it in for them to do, so they could replace any parts if needed. He also told me it's challenging to calibrate both the 90 and 45 indents in a timely manner if you haven't done it before.  My kapex is 2.5 years old.

I had the choice of boxing it myself, or he told me my nearest Lee Valley would do it for me if I wanted, and they would provide all the packing materials, do the paperwork, and arrange pick up. Then when it was tuned up, they would ship back to me directly. I dropped it off today at LV.

Should be about a week until I get it back, with Monday being a holiday. So I'll post my experience here for others.

Hope it works out better for you than it did for me.  Had exactly the same problem...plus burning on almost every cut (yes the blade was sharp).  Came back calibrated and cutting square, but I still have the burning issue on probably half of my cuts.

I also sent mine in about a year out of warranty so it cost me $110 to ship it and they charged me another $80 for the work.

I have a love/hate relationship with the Kapex.  My biggest complaint is it's a big puss with no power.  But when it's dialed in, it's by far the most precise SCMS available.

• 1 month later...

Just realized I never updated this!

My Kapex came back a week after I had sent it. Festool called me to ask a few questions, to ensure they did all of the repairs/alignments necessary. They adjusted my miter scale and lasers. the saw is cutting "bang on" again.

There were some small issues I had, and I may be being overly picky here. First, the sticker was peeled back to align the lasers. They didn't replace it, but just tried to "stick it" back on. Its loose now, and one of the corners won't adhere to the saw.

The bevel scale was marred during the repair. A small piece of metal was bent, so I needed to file it away. This was not the case when I sent the saw.

The fence has a small chip that wasn't there previously.

Other than that, everything was great!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeffm510 said:

So....Kapex or the Bosch Glide? Which one is the winner?

I think it really depends on your expectations and budget. Although I have been known to be a bit of a Festool fanboy I have never felt the need to spend what a Kapex costs but my miter saw sits in the wood storage area of my shop and I don't ever use it for finish cuts although it cuts 90 degrees with no issues. I have the 12" glide and love that I can leave it tight to the wall and the cut quality is very good with my Forrest blade. The dust collection sucks but for $540 (bought on sale) plus the cost of the blade still well south of Kapex

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also in the debate of Kapex or Bosch Glide.  I had all but decided to go with the Bosch Glide thinking that the Kapex CAN'T be worth the extra money.  Then I started to find videos and posts with all kinds of problems with the Bosch Glide.  Multiple people have said the Glide is very inaccurate and has significant problems with cutting square.  I even saw one video that articulated up to 2 degrees of play and deflection (evidenced by a widened zero clearance insert); yet another identified issues with the cutting deck moving while in a locked position.

I'm not trying to rail against the Bosch here; there are several questions I have about these "problems."  I thought I would ask here as there seems to be a fair amount of users on both sides.  Anyone here who has had a Bosch Glide for a while who can speak to these complaints specifically.  I don't want to spend the money on the Kapex if I can get quality cuts with a less expensive saw.  On the other hand, I'm absolutely in love with my other Festool products, and can't help but tell myself buy once, cry once...

Thanks for any input.

Chris

54 minutes ago, Chris Whitmarsh said:

I'm not trying to rail against the Bosch here; there are several questions I have about these "problems."  I thought I would ask here as there seems to be a fair amount of users on both sides.  Anyone here who has had a Bosch Glide for a while who can speak to these complaints specifically.  I don't want to spend the money on the Kapex if I can get quality cuts with a less expensive saw.  On the other hand, I'm absolutely in love with my other Festool products, and can't help but tell myself buy once, cry once...

About 7 yrs ago I went through the same process.  Had a few Festools and needed a miter saw.  I ended up buying the 12" Bosch, because at the time I needed the extra capacity.  It has been a great tool, it was right on out of the box, and I have had absolutely no problems.  Over the years I have done 3 modifications.  Made a zero clearance insert, modified the DC, and just the other day added a LED to create a cut line, (shows exactly where it is going to cut).  By adding the LED I was able eliminate my only "buyers remorse" for not purchasing the Kapex, the laser.  When I built my shop I used the saw daily for 18 months, and now use it as part of my normal woodworking work flow, and if it broke today, I would buy another tomorrow.

Thank you Bob.  After doing some discussing with my wife (who was pretty supportive of me going for either tool) and thinking about how to overcome any "would be" obstacles, I am ordering the Bosch in hopes that it ships tomorrow.  I know it's not likely with it being the peak shipping season, but I'm holding out hope that I'll get to set it up in my shop Christmas Day.  I'm confident I'll be happy with it's performance as I'm upgrading from a Ridgid 10 CMS I purchased back in 2003 or 2004. 

Thanks again for your input.

On 11/26/2017 at 11:48 AM, rodger. said:

Festool called me to ask a few questions, to ensure they did all of the repairs/alignments necessary.

This is the part that struck me as being odd... Don't they know what square means? I mean, it's not a complicated machine. If it cuts material and leaves a square edge, it's done its job. If not, fix it... Knowing how much of a smart ass I am, I wouldn't have missed the opportunity.