Keeping an object distinct

collinb

Just using the Make version. (Not ready to shell out $695 for the full version until it's needed)

Probably the most frustrating thing is that single objects are not automatically grouped but sit there as parts collections.

What I'm running into is when things connect to other things at edges then re-selection becomes difficult if not impossible.

Is there a way to make a new item automatically its own group?

Of course making a group item is not hard, but I would like it to be automatic.

You can just open Sketchup & figure things out as you go, but that's a really poor use of time. It's much better to watch some tutorials & learn best practices. Otherwise it gets very frustrating, as you've found out. I watched a video tutorial by Joe Zeh that is very good & addresses just that issue.

1 hour ago, drzaius said:

You can just open Sketchup & figure things out as you go, but that's a really poor use of time. It's much better to watch some tutorials & learn best practices. Otherwise it gets very frustrating, as you've found out. I watched a video tutorial by Joe Zeh that is very good & addresses just that issue.

As a software developer since the 70s it's generally tempting to learn-as-you-go but, yes, one can miss a lot.

I've seen a number of videos on Sketchup and they really didn't take me to where I wanted or thought I needed to go. I'll give Joe Zeh a try. Tx.

5 hours ago, collinb said:

(Not ready to shell out $695 for the full version until it's needed)

Unless you specifically need one of the pro features (you don't), then you won't need to shell out the cash.  Even some pro architectural firms that use SU still use the free version. 

I'm not sure what you are asking Collin.  If you create, let's say a drawer side, you can select all the lines and faces in the side and make them either a component or an object by right clicking and selecting "Make Group" or "make Component".  Making something an group just selects it as a whole, and lightly protects from editing by accident.  Any copies of that first object are unique and changes to any one will not affect the others.  Components have many more options than a group, but if you copy one, and edit the first, then the changes are reflected in all the copies.   Which is great for drawers or parts that repeat themselves. 

I'm not sure what you mean by automatic object creation. 

5 hours ago, collinb said:

What I'm running into is when things connect to other things at edges then re-selection becomes difficult if not impossible.

When you have a group or component created, you can click anywhere on it to select it, and then click on a specific location to perform the task you want. 

In the words of Dave Richards- make components. The behavior you mentioned comes from non-component parts making contact.  Automatically assuming a group of things is a component is not something you want your software to do.  It is very simple to double or triple click on a group of touching items and then press the letter G to make the component.  You don't have to name each one.  I often do not even when there are dozens of components in a drawing.

• Like 1

If you have stuff that you want to be a group but there are other touching things that you do NOT want to be part of that group, just hide everything you don't want to be part of a group, make the group, then unhide all. Hidden things are not included in the "make group".

• 2 weeks later...

I suggest getting in the habit of making each object a group or component as soon as you make it. So if you are making a drawer, as soon as you've made one side, go ahead and make it a component. Do this for each side as you make them and you'll find it easy to select them without missing part or grabbing something you don't intend to include.

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

I suggest getting in the habit of making each object a group or component as soon as you make it. So if you are making a drawer, as soon as you've made one side, go ahead and make it a component. Do this for each side as you make them and you'll find it easy to select them without missing part or grabbing something you don't intend to include.

Yeah, what he said. Absolutely.