Gloves

Isaac

I find when working with my chisels, I get cuts and nicks on my fingers.  Not from the actually sharp end, which I'm careful with, but mostly from the sides of the chisel sliding past my finger as I guide it. Hope that makes sense. Maybe it is a technique issue, but protection probably wouldn't hurt.

I'm looking for a suggestion on glove brand or type. Need something for protection but which won't interfere with the operation itself.

15 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Same here. Those suckers were sharp.   I think I used a 320grit sanding sponge.

Yup, I'm also using Narex chisels, so good to know. I think I will include this as a comment if/when I recommend them to anyone in the future, since it appears we all had the same issue.

Very glad I asked this question. 

20 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Yup, I'm also using Narex chisels, so good to know. I think I will include this as a comment if/when I recommend them to anyone in the future, since it appears we all had the same issue.

Very glad I asked this question. 

Just keep in mind to stay away from the last half to inch. Having that sharp edge does help cleanly sever fibers and keep the walls clean on mortises.

• Like 1

I have a couple of Narex mortise chisels and they indeed appeared to have sharp sides when new. So I just rubbed some wood shavings on the sharp edges to burnish the edges. My hands and fingers have thick skin through years of woodworking so I rarely get these paper cuts LOL.

I've been doing a fair amount of fine detail carving for a while and even being very careful, I do occasionally slip and nick my fingers.  I got some of this tape from Lee Valley, and make little finger guards:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=31213&cat=1,130,43332

I made a set for my thumb and index finger on my non-working hand, and it made life much easier.

Having said that, I have the Narex chisels as well, and my edges weren't particularly sharp.  I guess I was lucky...

• 3 weeks later...

Ease the edges...if that doesn't work I actually wound up putting hockey tape on my fingers because it was handy...that's before I eased the edges...sometimes I'll forget when I flatten the back of a new chisel and then halfway through my work, I'll look down and wonder why there's blood drops everywhere