Interesting Work Inquiries

Tom King

It is here as well, even after Harvey, or even due to Harvey. I’m surprised at the folks that are buying homes that flooded but never in the past, and flipping or buying them at discount, to live in. They just did an article in Houston Business Journal that told the % increase YTY, in home building and it’s amazing. Makes me want to sell my little place and move to Montana. 

I realize it's Canadian dollars, but in the west side of Vancouver, a tear down house (ie: post war 1200 sq ft bungalow that hasn't been updated since it was built), on a typical 33 x 122 ft lot starts at about 2.25 million.  In fact, a bare lot will be more expensive, because you don't have to tear down the existing house.  On the cheaper east side, you could still get a house for just over a million, but it will in horrible shape, and likely come with it's own supply of needles and syringes in the front yard...

The only positive is that those of us that have owned for a while will all eventually sell and move somewhere else, at which point we can buy whatever we want. 

3 hours ago, wdwerker said:

That's close to 25 million an acre ! Might be reasonable if you were going to build a high rise, but outrageous if you just wanted a bit of lawn & garden space around the mansion.

It's insane here.  A downtown lot that was just under an acre recently sold for 245 million.  It is a prime location, right on one of the major streets.  The problem with prices like these is that it prices the vast majority of people out of the market, and for young families it's pretty much impossible.  A lot of these families either move to the suburbs, which aren't cheap either, just slight more reasonable, or else they end up in small, expensive condos.  I honestly don't know what this city is going to look like in 10-15 years, because nobody that works a regular job will be able live here.  But by then, we'll be living like kings somewhere else...

12 minutes ago, drzaius said:

All or our snide remarks aside, sometimes people just don't know & that's all right. Everyone's gotta learn somehow.

And to follow that up, a lot of the time how the customer takes the 'bad news' is almost entirely up to you and how you present it along with how you react to their feelings/budget/etc when they were expecting something else. It sounds like Tom is very good with people and has been able to keep the interaction positive and might actually lead to a paid job.