Interesting Work Inquiries

Tom King

I get some interesting inquiries.   Last night, I received an email from a young Doctor who wants to build a new house, but look like it was built long ago.  It is to be modeled after Chateau Gudanes. http://www.chateaugudanes.com/

She found some "really nice, old French arched top windows" to use, and thought the house could be made some smaller than Chateau Gudanes by using 5 windows across the main front section instead of seven, and 12 foot ceilings instead of 16'.    There are 17 acres of woodland at the site, and she was wondering if it would be cheaper to have wood milled there from trees than to buy lumber.

One possible problem is that it's four hours from where I live, but the larger problem is that she needs it to be done for less than  $500,000.   Hopefully, she left one or two zeros off of the budget.

That chateau looks like it's what.. 15,000 square feet? (My random ball park estimate) Seems crazy to think you can get that for 500k. I assume site prep is currently non existent? 

As someone actively looking at real estate for my next home in Maryland I feel safe in saying that excluding real estate you can build a hell of a home for 500k. But you are not going to have anything like that chateau.

17 acres of woodland and she thinks might be cheaper to mill that wood than purchase? 

Good that she found some old crappy windows - so I am sure those will be a HUGE cost savings and get you close to the $500K.

I am afraid the good doctor might need to find a good doctor.......

• Like 1

I get a lot of requests that start out quite interesting and then all the details start to make it seem like a potential nightmare. I had a pilot that wanted a desk for his home office. He flew the B-2 bomber when he was in the service, so he wanted a scaled down one as his desk. Legs to mimic the landing gear etc etc.  Then he freaked at $3500 estimate. He was thinking $1200....dream on.

• Like 1

I am like Frank.  The crazy and stupid real estate market here in northern California, $500,000 is getting close to being the down payment not the selling price.  Homes like my 1300 sq. ft. home on a 6000 sq. ft. lot are tipping the scales at just over $800,000.

I think the doctor is talking just about the building of the house being 500k. From context it sounds like she already owns the land. A decent 17 acre lot in Maryland would go for about 300k-500k just by itself depending on quality and location. Possibly a lot more if it's in a really desirable location. You can put up a heck of a house if you knock out a few middle men for 500k.... But it ain't gonna be like that chateau.

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

I get its CA and not MN but $800,000 here would get you a really nice 6000 sq ft home LOL

OP - she can't be serious can she :o 

I would guess that the 800K would go pretty far in 46 of the 50 states in the union.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pkinneb said:

I get its CA and not MN but $800,000 here would get you a really nice 6000 sq ft home LOL

OP - she can't be serious can she :o 

When i was house shopping 8 months ago I stumbled upon a 12,000 sq ft house for $750k on the rum river. The joke was to split it between 3 friends and each have out own separate 4,000 sq ft wing.

• Like 1

I told her I'd get back to her today, but I'm having a hard time thinking of anything good to say.  It's too far away, and I'm not taking on anything else to do anyway, but I feel like I should give her some sort of advice.  I looked her up with Google, and she graduated from medical school in 2011, so still just a young'un.

3 hours ago, Minnesota Steve said:

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/chateau-de-gudanes/#.WmjuZa6nFpg

So this is what the Chateau de Gudanes looks like on the inside:

upper-floor.jpg

I've fixed worse, but never do estimates, or deadlines.  The plaster actually looks in good shape.  Lime plaster is easy to repair.  Gypsum you might as well tear it all out, and start over.

7 hours ago, Chet said:

I am like Frank.  The crazy and stupid real estate market here in northern California, $500,000 is getting close to being the down payment not the selling price.  Homes like my 1300 sq. ft. home on a 6000 sq. ft. lot are tipping the scales at just over $800,000.

CO isn't far behind thanks to all of you Californians moving out here for the plants B) . You can buy the lot one street over in my neighborhood for close to 350K. That's just the dirt, no improvements. It is a nice lot though... Then add a house to it. :) But, we have low property taxes, so... But we have high sales tax...