gee-dub

Drill Press Depth Stop and Bandsaw Template Jig

Now that template jig is interesting. Seems like a really good option for those of use that aren't very good freehand at a bandsaw.

I had to puzzle over the band saw jig for a few minutes but I get it.  I assume double side tape or your other favorited mothod of hold ing the owrk piece ot the template.  I would be interested in a verson that clamps to my factory fence.  It's on my list of "between project" projects.  Thanks for sharing.

Good depth stop for the drill press.  My Rikon came with a similar stop and I just love it.

Where did you get the fancy push button nuts? I have a 17" General that is a beast, but has the most hateful depth stops ever. This is something I need to do.

The best depth stop I've ever used in on the Powermatic 1150.    It's easy to adjust, never budges, and no number of holes drilled by it will vary any at all, including the manual speed changing one I have that was built in 1956.

Nice thread, what wood did you use on the drill press depth stop? Also, what are those plastic nuts called that act as the stops?

The wood is hard maple.  The stops on the threaded rod for the drill press are metal.  Let me see if I can find where I got them . . . 

Ah yes, McMaster-Carr.  Aren't computers wonderful for keeping our shop history?

• Like 1

Do you know how those built in depth stops within the handle assembly work? I can't find any information and wondered if it would be possible to introduce that as a retrofit and alternative to an external depth stop.

58 minutes ago, TeeJay said:

Do you know how those built in depth stops within the handle assembly work? I can't find any information and wondered if it would be possible to introduce that as a retrofit and alternative to an external depth stop.

I can only say that this is the type that originally came on my drill press. That is why I built the external one because the  original is so clumsy to work with. :)

The 3/8" threaded rod is held securely and travels on a straight path that is centered in the 1/2" hole.   

My DP has stops that have to be turned, seemingly forever, to adjust and I hate them. I've been trying to figure out a better way and now you've just done that for me. Thanks for posting.

2 hours ago, TeeJay said:

So the hole is much bigger than the threaded rod to avoid any rub?

Right.  It clears by 1/16" all around.