Greetings from Troon, Scotland

Scotty

Hi All

Another new guy here. New to woodworking and wanting to try an get some skill at it apart from being able to cut  bits of wood and screw them together.

Currently reading through Hybrid woodworking and enjoying it. Been inspired to finally tune up an old hand plane I've had for years and never used and I was actually impressed how easy it was to use use once sharpened and set up properly....and it was fun. Also got some decent chisels and sharpened them fairly well and tonight actually had a go at cutting a mortise and tenon joint with purely a hand saw and chisels, no power tools. Mortise came out fine....tenon was squint... but hey ho it was good practice and valuable lessons learned.

At the moment i don't have any decent material to work with other than a bunch of pallets to practice with as they were free and some pine studs, but I made a jig for my table saw that will allow me to mill small logs and I've also been given a pile of silver birch logs. There arent many decent lumber mills in the area so will be doing more research in finding ones further afield.

Anyway enough prattling.

Look forward to chatting with you all and siphoning your expert knowledge..

Cheers

Scotty

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Welcome! Is lumber kinda rare in Scotland? I'd love to go there some day. Hopefully soon.

Thanks for the welcome. Where i am in Scotland there doesn't seem to be any decent lumber mills, i can go to local places and get plenty of Pine and ,maybe some oak (which is expensive). all the good mills seem to be about a 3 hour drive for me, but as I'm just starting out i probably need to ask around more to see if there is a local source.

24 minutes ago, RichardA said:

Glad to have you join us Scotty. Are you any relation to that famous engineer on ship 1701?

I've inherited his nickname, but no relation to the famous Montgomery Scott, I do however have a few red tops kicking about does that count?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1