Two great examples of CNC woodworking

Mick S

This month's Fine Woodworking magazine highlighted two very nice examples of how CNC routers can be used for fine woodworking. 

The first is the slant front desk by Curtis Erpelding. I was fortunate to spend 30 minutes or so with this piece in the NW Woodworkers storefront in Seattle a couple of years back. The price tag on it was $70,000 if my memory serves. Exquisite piece. - http://www.finewoodworking.com/2018/01/15/designers-notebook-curtis-erpeldings-slant-front-desk

The second piece, by Owain Harris, is on the back cover. This video is well worth the time to hear the how and why he mixed CNC with hand methods - http://www.finewoodworking.com/2018/02/20/cnc-meets-handwork-owain-harris

Kind of brought a smile to my face to see FW highlighting CNC use.

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad they are doing this as well i know CNC isn't for me but i see the usefulness to it and it opens up limitless possibilities that could be too difficult otherwise.

Am i allowed to appreciate the furniture and think they are beautiful but not really like them?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Am i allowed to appreciate the furniture and think they are beautiful but not really like them?

No! You can't not like CNC!

Seriously though, I think combining master craftsmen with precision technology is awesome! I don't think they need to actually cut a dovetail, or profile a curve, to feel the design is theirs anymore. Us newbies get that feeling of accomplishment with our first few manual M&Ts, but everyone's looking for a domino after a while.

Master craftsmen today probably see CNC machines as those of yore saw apprentices. They can be good at manual work, but they need to be told exactly what to do. An apprentice being part of the production process never reduced the value of the pieces produced by a master craftsman. That's how I like to see it, at least.

41 minutes ago, kyokahn said:

No! You can't not like CNC!

Seriously though, I think combining master craftsmen with precision technology is awesome! I don't think they need to actually cut a dovetail, or profile a curve, to feel the design is theirs anymore. Us newbies get that feeling of accomplishment with our first few manual M&Ts, but everyone's looking for a domino after a while.

Master craftsmen today probably see CNC machines as those of yore saw apprentices. They can be good at manual work, but they need to be told exactly what to do. An apprentice being part of the production process never reduced the value of the pieces produced by a master craftsman. That's how I like to see it, at least.

Oh no i totally agree. The big thing that i'd love CNC for is templates and begin able to accurately bring my design to life that way.  I just don't like them because after sitting being a computer 10 hours a day doing engineering drafting the last thing i want to do is go home and do the same stuff.

CNC and veneer seem like they are meant for each other.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mick S said:

This month's Fine Woodworking magazine highlighted two very nice examples of how CNC routers can be used for fine woodworking. 

The first is the slant front desk by Curtis Erpelding. I was fortunate to spend 30 minutes or so with this piece in the NW Woodworkers storefront in Seattle a couple of years back. The price tag on it was $70,000 if my memory serves. Exquisite piece. - http://www.finewoodworking.com/2018/01/15/designers-notebook-curtis-erpeldings-slant-front-desk

The second piece, by Owain Harris, is on the back cover. This video is well worth the time to hear the how and why he mixed CNC with hand methods - http://www.finewoodworking.com/2018/02/20/cnc-meets-handwork-owain-harris

Kind of brought a smile to my face to see FW highlighting CNC use.

I was admiring that same desk last night, fun to know the price, it really puts things in perspective. 

21 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I just don't like them because after sitting being a computer 10 hours a day doing engineering drafting the last thing i want to do is go home and do the same stuff.

Work in front of a computer too, although it's a fairly different type of task, it is a bit boring to sit down again and design a part/toolpath. The same is true for designing your projects in sketchup or other software. Both are necessary sometimes.

8 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

I need a CNC for glue-ups, sanding and finishing.

At first I thought it was just funny... but I think a sanding CNC could work. At least for flat surfaces, unless it's a full-on robot to sand everything. Also, flattening a slab is a perfectly acceptable use for a large CNC. Moving a router through straight lines for that long is NO FUN.

Glue-ups and finishing are fun though, no clue why you'd like to give that away.

3 hours ago, Immortan D said:

I use dowels for joinery most of the time: Glue-ups are VERY stressful

Then maybe you could use a CNC for joinery. I've seen some pretty crazy, easy to assemble stuff. There was a guy in the post that preceded the creation of this sub-forum that mentioned all-CNC joinery.

As for finishing... I don't see robots taking over just yet :D 

• Like 1

I have the privilege of working in a large format sign shop, as well as being the primary operator of a 6'x10' CNC Router, as well as a 6'x12' water-jet, and a 5'x10' 150W Laser Engraver/Cutter, and I can definitely say that for flattening slabs or material as well and doing fancier custom stuff CNC works wonders. For example: A co worker came to me asking if I could route an incredibly rough slab of wood for his neighbor and route in their last name, and the year they started building their log cabin. The process was only 4 steps really, use a fly cutter (think helical planer or jointer head) to make one side of the rough sawn piece flat, flip it over, mill it with the same fly cutter to the desired thickness and make it parallel to the other side, then design a simple 3D file to route into said slab, and route away.

Yes there are tool marks, and yes there is a big ole knot right by the "Y" but I wasn't doing the finishing, and I was accumulating favors at the time.

CNC has its place, i use it mostly for cutting plywood and various parts for shelves and other odd jobs, as well as templates, but I still prefer to do most of my woodworking at home.

Now the laser and waterjet on the other hand... Super fun times.

IMG_20160526_140252.jpg

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:19 PM, kyokahn said:

Then maybe you could use a CNC for joinery. I've seen some pretty crazy, easy to assemble stuff. There was a guy in the post that preceded the creation of this sub-forum that mentioned all-CNC joinery.

As for finishing... I don't see robots taking over just yet :D 

Take a look at CF Martin or Taylor guitars and how they finish with robotics.  Fascinating, to say the least.  But for me, I'll just use my CNC for cutting wood. 

One neat thing I have done is that when we make a large end grain cutting board, say18", I level the surfaces on the CNC just like a planer. We have a SuperMax 19-38 drum sander but the CNC is much faster at this task.  So I guess I have a 26" x 50" planer; I need to add that to our Etsy shop - Huge end grain cutting board 26 x 50! :blink:

David

• Like 1