Sander Is there such an animal?

Ronn W

Looking for a belt sander mostly for use on outside curves or circles.  Most of reasonably priced units for a small shop are similar to this:

708599_main-1000.jpg.0e9b87407d392c295644d71331d7597b.jpg

Seems like an awkward way to sand, say a 24" diameter circle or a curved table leg - and the belt is running perpendicular to the grain.

I think that, for that type of sanding,  that  one like this with the sanding taking place parallel to the grain would be better and the supprt surface is larger.:

123587_400x400.jpg.84cc555c7afbae126bda1e5254461bfa.jpg

But that's large and expensive.  The only other unit that I have found is Ridgid's baby sander: (I already have a spindle sander)

14ed7d8c-611d-4414-89b4-eb09852c947d_1.16c31a122e52c115443fb7c3ad740007.jpeg.fe345b2a58eefaa6caaaf4a422c0562b.jpeg

Anybody know of another small unit with the belt mounted like the Ridgid's????

1 hour ago, RichardA said:

For awhile while my sander was broken down, I just flipped a regular belt sander upside down, clamped it in a vise and did what I needed to do

I've done something similar. I made a jig to hold my ancient Makita 9924 belt sander horizontally, complete with fence & table. I clamps in my trusty Workmate. I use it rather than my Ridgid when I need lots of power for extra coarse grits. Also when I'm doing a lot linear production & have a helper (read reluctant offspring) I put a different grit in each sander.

• Like 1

I've had a Ridgid osselating belt sander for many years, great little machine. Then I stepped up to the big Jet sander that Ronn posted a picture of as expensive. Yea it's north of a grand but  I have found more uses for it than I ever considered. I added a fence so I could sand endgrain at a perfect 90 to the board. When you need endgrain that shows to be flawless it does it in seconds. Dust collection isn't great.