Pearwood Goblet

wouldwurker

Thanks all. Been busy as all hell, and popped out a third baby. Craziness at the Jojo house.
Pear is like Cherry, but with more interlocked grain.

Impossible to split with a froe. Will burnish/polish to a shine like hard Maple.

Here’s some more pics from the same tree
IMG_5959.JPG. From left to right finish is Wipe on Poly, Watco Teak, Shallac with vintage maple transtint

b07c0fe62fa8c04aa6ba4184e2b55c89.jpg
21f12e5be25af7eda9dd2da27e8868d1.jpg
0b382c7de1db0e30fa5df1c5ef76f79e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Poor branch angles lead to frost splits and thunderstorm water loading splits. I don’t believe the trunk wood is particularly unstable. Don’t know that I’d try branch wood. 

The stress on the branch wood is why there’s so much figure/curl. Little checking because of the crossed grain as it dries. The weak area is only where it meets the trunk (hence why they all snap in time). Perfectly stable...unless you find yourself in the unlikely situation of tablesaw ripping a wide flatsawn board of Bradford Pear.

35 minutes ago, vinnyjojo said:

The stress on the branch wood is why there’s so much figure/curl. Little checking because of the crossed grain as it dries. The weak area is only where it meets the trunk (hence why they all snap in time). Perfectly stable...unless you find yourself in the unlikely situation of tablesaw ripping a wide flatsawn board of Bradford Pear.

So glad you are back Vinny!! I see very little branch wide enough to get any but the tiniest pieces out of the all compressed or all stretched side of those branches. Since so much turning is off axis to avoid pith, I just would not seek it out. Maybe they get bigger in your area?

So glad you are back Vinny!! I see very little branch wide enough to get any but the tiniest pieces out of the all compressed or all stretched side of those branches. Since so much turning is off axis to avoid pith, I just would not seek it out. Maybe they get bigger in your area?

Yeah. Pretty big. Here’s a piece with my hand, for scale 1c986147b6cf0da8543f3302ae0d8e4a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk