Narex stanley 750 or two cherries

Matthew1980

All have gotten good comments.  I can only speak for the Stanley 750 chisels.  I like mine a lot - the balance is good, and they seem to hold an edge well.  I got the full set (8); most of them needed only a little work on the back to flatten, but I remember the 1/2" really needed a lot more work.  In retrospect I should have returned it but that's all water under the bridge.  My only nit is that the side bevels are a little inconsistent, but they're only an issue when trying to clean up a dovetail.  I got a fishtail chisel for that so it's no longer an issue.

• Thanks 1

Buy one of each in a different size and figure out which one you like. I think all of those brands are available individually. I have a couple narex chisels and the Stanley 750s. I like the Stanley 750s a lot better. I've also heard really good things about 2 cherries.

The Stanley chisels are socket the other two are fixed handle. Also the Stanley chisels are very light and petite. They are by no means fragile or bendable though. I've chopped mortises with my 750s. The narex and 2cherries are similar in style and i'd probably give a nod to the cherries steel being better. The Narex i have chipped the cutting edge easier than i was expecting.

I'd say it goes 2cherries > Stanley > Narex.

I bought of several different brands of bevel edged chisels, each a different size.  Narex, Stanely 750, Leigh Neilson and Irwin marples so that I could decide which set I wanted.  Once I got them I realized that I now had a set of mismatched chisels so I postponed getting a matching set.  I like the Narex, especially considering the price but the handles are a little to long for use with a mallet (personal preference) but I use it mostly for paring.  I had no problems with the steel but I had heard about it so I was a little aggressive when establishing the primary bevel.  The Lie Nielson are the best, thick blade, very well balanced,  mininal preparation out of the box.  I find the Stanely's to be too thin and light.  I was considering 2 cherries but never bought one.

• Thanks 1

The 40 year old Stanley' Pro chisels have held up very well. Not too thin, tough plastic handles, and a plastic case that folds into a stand. Metal cap on the ends survives mallets and often whatever hammer is at hand. 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and 2" get the most use then 1 1/2. Not classy or pretty but damn functional. I've got a set of socket chisels that are excellent. Long stout blades that hold an edge a long time. But socket chisel handles can wiggle loose at the worst time. Damn near lost my little toe to a freshly sharpened 2" chisel that' has a foot long blade. My grandfather gave them to me and they were old when he got them. Never even looked for a name on them. 

All of this has no bearing on what's available today except to say get the best you can afford , treat them well and they will last for several generations. 

Dont forget to have a few cheap beater chisels around when abuse is likely. I've got a 1/2" Fuller chisel that has caught hell for decades. So if your starter set is cheap they still have use in the future.

Steve,  Are the "Pro" chisels you're talking about the no. 40's with black handles?   If so, those are my favorite chisels.   I'm not sure of exactly what the steel is, but it seems to be able to take a sharper edge than the more commonly available no. 60's.   I have one that I hone to 18 degrees just for trimming window glazing, and it holds the edge all day, but glazing is a Lot softer than wood.