Sawstop Overarm Dust Collection

Cliff

Has anyone used the new more expensive one and the older one? I'm curious if it is worth the upgrade price. I bought my saw today, picking it up Saturday. I also bought the ICS mobile base. They said that when I get the PCS mobile base I can bring it in and they will refund me $200. But I'm now considering getting the overarm unit instead for free. I guess either way I can just bring the thing back to them and use the refund to get the floating one.

I had the old over arm and ended up getting rid of it.  Seemed like it was always in the way and I am not convinced it made much of a difference.  But that could just be me.  Maybe if I had a cyclone DC I would have been happier with the result.

2 minutes ago, Chet said:

I had the old over arm and ended up getting rid of it.  Seemed like it was always in the way and I am not convinced it made much of a difference.  But that could just be me.  Maybe if I had a cyclone DC I would have been happier with the result.

Probably not. I have a cyclone and the old one still kind of sucked. After I accidentally hit the sawstop guard against the blade and it shattered, I got a shark guard with a 4” port and am much happier with the dust collection. Plus the new guard is much more substantial. 

I have it and I think it works pretty well. It's not giving you festool level of dust control, and it is variable based on what you're cutting but I do like using it, especially when I have a bunch of rip cuts to do in a row. I generally crosscut with the TS sled so I don't use it in that case.

• Like 1

I have the older overhead collection guard & for most cuts it works just about perfectly. The only time it doesn't is when you're just shaving less than a blade width off the edge of a board. Then it sends a dust shooting out to the left. I think the new floating is probably better in that regard. It also looks like it would offer better visibility when cross cutting.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, drzaius said:

I have the older overhead collection guard & for most cuts it works just about perfectly. The only time it doesn't is when you're just shaving less than a blade width off the edge of a board. Then it sends a dust shooting out to the left. I think the new floating is probably better in that regard. It also looks like it would offer better visibility when cross cutting.

I'm not sure there's any overarm guard that will adequately collect the dust when you are shaving the edge off a board. I've seen some solutions where people glue a magnet to the end of the hose on a shop vac and stick it to their table saw to the side of the blade so it sucks in the dust that shoots out. 

2 hours ago, Dknapp34 said:

I'm not sure there's any overarm guard that will adequately collect the dust when you are shaving the edge off a board. I've seen some solutions where people glue a magnet to the end of the hose on a shop vac and stick it to their table saw to the side of the blade so it sucks in the dust that shoots out. 

That's what I'm planning to do with mine. The dust shoots out in a pretty narrow, focused pattern so that should be effective.

It's funny how the better your dust collection gets, the more you want to get it all. I went from a contractors saw with no collection at all to a SawStop & a 5 HP cyclone with extremely good collection. Yet that little bit the escapes when trimming the edge of a board is driving me crazy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dknapp34 said:

I've seen some solutions where people glue a magnet to the end of the hose on a shop vac and stick it to their table saw to the side of the blade so it sucks in the dust that shoots out. 

By the time you get that all set up, the broom would be faster. ;)

2 hours ago, drzaius said:

It's funny how the better your dust collection gets, the more you want to get it all.

Ain't that the truth.  But at the end of the day, most days, all I sweep up would barely fill half a coffee can.  I am pretty happy with that.

• Like 1