TSO grs-16 Guide Rail Square

Just Bob

@davestanton has a complete, and enthusiastic review of these guides on youtube here:

So I won't repeat anything he said.  I used mine for the first time today to cut the ply for a bunch of drawers.  Overall I am pleased, but every review I saw of the these, nobody used the guide rail clamps during the cut.  So I thought I would give that a try, the tracks wondered on 3 of the cuts and I ruined those pieces.  Once I started using my clamps  (which is standard for me)  I was pleased with the squares, they make setting up the cut easy, guarantee a square edge and since I don't have a carpenters square that is worth a damn, I am glad I spent the money on these.  I did buy both of the guides, that is probably not necessary but on those rare occasions where I am cutting long pieces I am sure I won't regret spending the money.

Here is their web site:  https://tsoproducts.com/tso-products-guide-rail-squares/grs-16-guide-rail-square/

DSC_0585.JPG.e97d319292650e101fa0619f16311910.JPG

• Like 2

Yea, this is a worth the purchase.  I recently used mine for the first time on my dining room table build.  I did use it with the clamps mainly because I was trimming the edges of the table with the leaves in place so it was well over 96 inches.  First time I tried it on a piece of scrap plywood it was with out the clamps and I didn't have any problem with the track wondering, but I think anything that really matters I would definitely use my clamps.

• Like 1

I can't figure how the rail square would be the cause of the track shifting.

I've never used clamps with my track saw...mainly because I have always cut sheet goods on the floor and I haven't figured out how to get clamps in there.  I rarely have any problems with the track shifting during the cut, and the couple of times it happened it was because I wasn't paying attention and put pressure on one side or the other inadvertently. 

That said...does the "grippy" surface on the bottom of the track lose it's grip after time?  It seems to be common sense that it will.  I'm sure I'll have to figure out a way to incorporate clamps at some point.

41 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

I've never used clamps with my track saw..

When I cut sheet goods I don't bother with the clamps but in a situation like I had with trimming the edge on my dining table build where you have basically one chance at it, I use the clamps.  When you are cutting things on the floor you really can't use the clamps because they hang down under the track.

44 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

That said...does the "grippy" surface on the bottom of the track lose it's grip after time

I believe it will but as a hobbyist I think it would take years and Festool does sell replacement "grippy" stuff.

This looks like something decent product for an actual issue. Sure beats holding it next to a speed swear.

learned my lesson on not securing the tracks on my last cut. The track did wonder an eighth over by the end of my cut, into the side I needed. Not super happy.

Yea this company makes some nice stuff along the quality of Woodpecker, but in my mind it is a better company because you can go there and by something any darn time you feel like it, no waiting.

Brendon this pretty much turns your track into an accurate square.

8 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

I can't figure how the rail square would be the cause of the track shifting.

I don't think the rail square caused the problem, more likely my technic. I have always used the clamps, even when I cut on the floor.