Random Tip #15 - Shop Made Flip Stops

gee-dub

I'm thinking of putting a similar block on my Shop Fox fence (it has a T-track.)  The intent is the same - line up multiple cross cuts.

My hope is that the block is "exactly" 1 inch beyond the fence.  

Is this what folks do?  (Right now I clamp a 1 inch block to the fence; allowing me to use the rule on the fence, adjusted by an inch.)

• Like 1

@Pondhockey Sounds like you are talking about a stop block to step material off your fence for safe cross cuts using the fence for setting length.  When crosscutting wider stock I found 3" to be a safer gap but, do use a block that steps me off exactly 3" to I can easily do the math when setting the fence.

Mine clamps on and can be attached wherever I need it which helps when using sleds or jigs.  I have seen folks use magnets but, I often end up at lengths past the cast iron and my fence face isn't ferrous.  Your idea of making it a flip style in a t-track sounds really slick. 

The same build method as shown in the first post with a t-bolt instead of sand paper and a clamp would be an elegant solution. Be sure to post us a pic as your idea could help out others.

TS Fence Stop Block (1).jpg

TS Fence Stop Block (2).jpg

TS Fence Stop Block (3).jpg

TS Fence Stop Block (4).jpg

• Like 1

GeeDub, you've got the idea, for sure.  I like your solution, actually.

One concern I have over the t-track idea is how much play there might be in the track, and how that would be expressed as imprecision in the stop block location.  If I come across something that apparently isn't known here, I'll share it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pondhockey said:

Can you show us some examples?

Sure..

045LyV.jpg

JkmnIK.jpg

And, I also use the same set up for my drill press fence.

yIhG0B.jpg

The random tip here is great!  If I had a sled that didn't have any options in it, this tip would work awesome!  However, if I'm building a new sled or fence, I'm going to install the track and create the blocks just to make things easier.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 5/25/2018 at 1:56 AM, gee-dub said:

For those who don't have commercial versions these are quick to make out of scrap and very reliable.  I use these when I am doing one of those rare "production" runs where I need a lot of duplicate parts of a similar dimension but, varying length.

5b06de5626a36_QuickFlipStop(12).jpg.7b670ac1e135f3dbbbf6a76e9b46dbc0.jpg

These are out of white oak milled to 1" x 1" but, any very hard wood will serve you well.

I use 1/4" bolts with a counterbore for the bolt head and a nylon-insert style lock nut on the other end.  A 1/4" hole drilled in a piece of scrap clamped to the sander makes a good pivot jig for rounding the top for clearance.

5b06de5524f86_QuickFlipStop(4).jpg.6e17182ff291b2f3476e060529b47e2e.jpg

Tips like this make me glad I found this forum, a simple block clamped down with a hole for the pivot bolt so the sanding is done equally amazes me !

For some reason my brain is not wired this way ( I often think that spending many years as a mechanic using parts that are made to fit attributes to this).

I would have sanded these hand held and then been disappointed at the lack of consistency

Thanks gee-dub  

Thanks, always good to hear when a tip helps someone out.  Don't sell yourself short.  The ability to look at a group of things and visualize which ones fit together and in what orientation really challenges some folks.  This probably helps you out more than you realize because you do it so automatically. :) 

Peachtree Woodworking has a dust collection kit for the drill press that uses a hose clamp to the column for mounting. It has swivel segments that are adjustable and stay in place pretty good too. The big plus is a tapered nozzle which accelerates the suction. Very handy when you are drilling around 300 holes like I have to do today . I have rigged it for use on other machines with a different sized hose clamp.  They sell a complete kit or piece by piece which lets you just get the few crucial ones you need. 

https://www.ptreeusa.com/dust_drill_press.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodger. said:

Can one of the admin make a folder/forum for the "random tips"? Would be great to have them all in one place!

We could do that but, the problem becomes maintaining it.  What constitutes a "good" tip?  Can anyone post any "tip" there?  What if the "tip" is a really bad idea?  Does the "tip" really belong in another thread because it's part of a journal or a review?

We've had a couple spots like this over the years and they end up falling by the wayside because they require maintenance.  

I'm open to the suggestion but, some additional thought and pondering is needed.

Well you can search for words in titles only. The big trouble is "tip" is three letters and the search doesn't work for that you could search "Random Tip" i guess but what if someone doesn't realize that and forgets to put the random before the tip. Trick was used before but i'm not sure if all the old threads could be changed and would it be worth it.

As a side note putting a search in qotes will return the phrase within the quotes as it appears. So if you want to find all the posts with festool haters you'd search "festool haters" otherwise it will return posts with festool or haters, there is another option to return all posts that contain festool and haters but not sure how to do that one.

10 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Well you can search for words in titles only. The big trouble is "tip" is three letters and the search doesn't work for that you could search "Random Tip" i guess but what if someone doesn't realize that and forgets to put the random before the tip. Trick was used before but i'm not sure if all the old threads could be changed and would it be worth it.

Therein lies the rub.  To make our forum useful it is incumbent on us to use "good" thread titles and to place threads with some thought.  I prefix my tip threads with "Random Tip #" so a search of "Random Tip #" including the quotes will turn up all my tips within the confines of the rest of the search criteria (like date range for example).

A predefined set of tags could help locating useful topics. Tags are disabled on these forums, see https://invisioncommunity.com/4guides/how-to-use-ips-community-suite/content-discovery/content-tags-and-prefixes-r72/

I think only Mentors and up should be able to create new tags. Regular users will be able to tag their content with existing tags only.

21 hours ago, ..Kev said:

We could do that but, the problem becomes maintaining it.  What constitutes a "good" tip?  Can anyone post any "tip" there?  What if the "tip" is a really bad idea?  Does the "tip" really belong in another thread because it's part of a journal or a review?

We've had a couple spots like this over the years and they end up falling by the wayside because they require maintenance.  

I'm open to the suggestion but, some additional thought and pondering is needed.

How about a section just for @gee-dub tips? He seems to have a lot of great ideas in his TIPS posts!