Sign in to follow this  
Cesar I. Rios

Your input is appreciated

I have the opportunity to buy one of this two machines. Both are 12" and have helical cutter heads. The price is the same on both.

The Laguna is a more expensive machine when new  but the company no longer sells it as far as I have been able to research, finding parts could be an issue. The way it changes from jointer to planer seems to me like it would be kind of awkward as compared to the Jet.

Thanks In advance for any input

No automatic alt text available.

No automatic alt text available.

Image may contain: indoor

Image may contain: one or more people

Personally I'd go with the jet. It seems like a better design if the machine is against a wall. With space around all sides it doesn't seem like it makes as much of a difference. The laguna is probably fine but the fact they don't make it any more raises red flags.

• Like 1

The Jet JJP-12 had a good review in the March/April 2012 Fine Woodworking. Very fast switching between operations.

@jplemons has the Jet and likes it.  He did a review here somewhere.  However I don't think the Laguna model has ever come up for discussion before.

The Laguna model does not look like it would hold a calibration after setup for very long of you actively use it.

Sorry I’ve been away for a time. I aboslutley recommend the Jet, although I don’t have th helical head version. A search should bring up my review. I just started a new project and it did its job well. The only negative I can think of is the dust collection while in planing mode. It’s not horrible but also not great.