Xstream Garage Adjustable Workbench Frame

Chestnut

Background: I have been wanting a table to work on during my shop build but was too lazy or didn't want to devote the time to build one. I started looking into the different portable work surfaces and all of them seemed incredibly inferior when the MFT is in the same category. I don't want an MFT because there is no way in $#)@ i'm paying $700 for a table ( i mean no offense to the MFT owners i do understand their use it's just doesn't fit my regular workflow). So i had this Menards rebate for buying shingles, decided to look and see what they had for regular work benches that i could take apart easily if needed.

Description: I found an Adjustable Workbench Frame. It originally appealed to me because it looked like it was only a couple of bolts to take it apart to store it. I saw the price at $75 and thought huh there is no way that is going to be sturdy or durable. So i researched the company that makes it. Sure enough they are located downtown MSP so I think what the heck 'll support a local business. If i need to i have a door i can bang on and have a conversation about this lifetime warranty. I also like that i can cut out different size tops and make the work bench larger if i need to. The whole thing just seems flexible and i like that.

photo5078299812905986028.thumb.jpg.d1516445eed31fc201766c7d07c41caf.jpg

Unpacking: I got the package home, it's not very heavy ... starting to reinforce the thought that it's not going to be very sturdy. The sides of the table came pre-assembled that's a surprise and a good thing hat should help make the table more stable. Three cross braces came nested together so all you have to do is extend to desired length and bolt together. Again nice packing touch made things fast and easy. All of the bolts and nuts are the same, another nice touch.

photo5078299812905986024.thumb.jpg.5d6d9b1a9e49fc36b5a9c6a0544e40e8.jpg

photo5078299812905986025.thumb.jpg.3da9bc7db9a65ad17e08b3889a4dd78a.jpg

Assembly: So assembly was fast and easy. Take the bolts and nuts and attach the thing together. There were instructions but this table is so simple you don't need them. My assembly took a tad bit longer because i messed up a bracket and had to turn it around. *Edit: The connecting members are designed in a way that you can remove the bolts to shorten or lengthen the table with out everything falling apart. They are sort of like table leaf extensions except simpler and not as smooth functioning. This is a big plus because the work bench could be modified in size to fit different needs and not take up a large amount of space on a permanent basis.

photo5078299812905986026.thumb.jpg.a7599a7638a3c4d8a40136d93c85ca6a.jpg

It only took me about 45 min to get the bench together and the top cut out. I had a piece of particle board from when my siding was delivered. It was beat up pretty bad so figured this would be a good use. I'm going to cut the crap out of it with my track saw anyway.

photo5078299812905986027.thumb.jpg.6da612957b9c0d6bb15efd4d25667937.jpg

Conclusion: I was wrong in my assumption of this not being sturdy. I haven't even put all the bolts in and the work bench already is VERY sturdy. The steel used in the frame is thicker than iw as expecting and the design is good and makes the best use of the material. The feet are the elevator screw style, and the big benefit of those is if desired you could buy some casters that  have a threaded bolt and attach them to the table to make it a rolling work bench. All in all this is worth the $75 i didn't spend on it. I'm going to keep this in mind and might buy another some day. It's a great work surface. It's sturdy enough to hammer on and light enough to move around easily. I was so impressed i thought i'd share.

Edited by Chestnut
Add more details.
  • Thanks 1

That looks like a great multi-use table there. And a bargain too.

Another item that is surprisingly useful is the cheap plastic table with folding legs that  has accidentally found a place in my shop. It's light & folds away easily (very important to me) & surprisingly strong. Right now I've got a 300+ lbs speaker cabinet on it & I've loaded it with much more in the past.

1 minute ago, drzaius said:

That looks like a great multi-use table there. And a bargain too.

Another item that is surprisingly useful is the cheap plastic table with folding legs that  has accidentally found a place in my shop. It's light & folds away easily (very important to me) & surprisingly strong. Right now I've got a 300+ lbs speaker cabinet on it & I've loaded it with much more in the past.

Yeah those plastic folding tables are great but i needed something i could pound on and cut on. I'd probably rip one of the plastic tables to pieces. That and when those plastic folding tables come in the house the expectation from the lady of the house is that they stay in good shape...

Pounding on is not something I'd want to do on the cheap table, but I've got my workbench for that. 

2 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

That and when those plastic folding tables come in the house the expectation from the lady of the house is that they stay in good shape...

Ya, you should see mine. Paint, drill holes & one end that has a long cut from the circ saw when I didn't have the board out quite far enough off the edge. Mama's not pleased.

Just now, drzaius said:

Pounding on is not something I'd want to do on the cheap table, but I've got my workbench for that. 

Ya, you should see mine. Paint, drill holes & one end that has a long cut from the circ saw when I didn't have the board out quite far enough off the edge. Mama's not pleased.

Also who's bright idea was it to make the plastic tables bright white and textured! They are impossible to keep clean WTF! I miss the old melamine particle board tables that never looked great but took abuse well.

I once took a melamine topped folding table that had seen better days and replace the top with plywood that I covered both sides with scraps of plastic laminate. I even replaced the Tee molding because I happened to have a bunch leftover from a job. It ended up stiffer and maybe a tad lighter. I got to use it a few times until I brought it home for use at a party. The neighborhood women absconded with it. It came out for every event and circulated from house to house. Finally got it back after the divorce.