Model 390 Orbital sander

j49

To be honest, the only time I used my ETS 150 was sanding down an Adirondack chair to refinish and I was all over it. Not a good project to judge a ROS by. I used it to try the dc. I’m sure when I get out of my Woodworking holding pattern and apply it to a flat piece of lumber, I’ll be all smiles. Money CAN buy you love! 

@K CooperYeah, all the  bends and curves in chairs are a good use for a smaller lighter 5". In fact the Pro 5 that everyone bought is a great sander for curves. 

Slap the 6" interface pad on the pro 5 taking care to center it. The holes won't line up well the the center will and it sucks air. Turn the sander to 5 or 6 with some 150 5" on the 6"interface pad for sanding edges and burned round over, 6” paper for say the arms, seat, solats of the chair. I keep my pro 5 set up like this, all the time in my CT top tray. 

On 7/26/2018 at 11:11 AM, Chestnut said:

If I've learned anything in today's world of idocy. If you like something buy 3 of them because some marketing yahoo is going to force change down the engineers throats for nothing other than to change a model number so they can jack the price up. There are, for some reason, few companies that are confidant to let a good product run.

I may sound like an old crumedgon that is resistant to change but that's not true. I love change when it's for improvements sake.

That happens a lot, but for some weird reason Makita is still selling the same identical 3 x 24 belt sander that I got close to 40 years ago. The thing is nearly indestructible.

12 hours ago, drzaius said:

That happens a lot, but for some weird reason Makita is still selling the same identical 3 x 24 belt sander that I got close to 40 years ago. The thing is nearly indestructible.

That and the porter cable 3x24? Or is it 3x21 had been around a long time. I guess the speed master pc router too. They are excellent tools though and how do you improve them?

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Don't forget to dial down the suction when using the vac with your sander. It sands better without swirls and extends the life of the Velcro pad.

Steve, how far is down? I have it at about 20% but the darn Festool instructions leave a whole lot to be desired. You would think for the $$$, there would be a manual the thickness of a phone book (when they made them) with instructions and hints. Is there an optimum without going overboard? When you can’t taste the walnut you’re sanding:D

I thnk the Domino, ETS 150 and the vac are my limit. Just for the heck of it, I changed the filter in front of my window a/c and on the Jet air filtering unit three days ago, prior to two days of sanding and there is very little walnut dust on either. I’m sold. And on my current build, it’s so convenient to disconnect from the Domino to the ROS and vice versa. 

• Like 1