Model 390 Orbital sander

j49

I bought it a year or so ago at the recommendation of a member on here and really like it. The only draw back is the dust collection. I recently bought the ETS 150 (6” disc) and have used it once, but would probably trade it for another 390. I might change my mind though after I go thru the 150 sanding disc that I bought with it, hopefully,  after the $$$ I paid for it. The 390 is so much lighter. 

If you can't find a PC 390 try the Mirka Deros or Festool ETS EC, both are brushless and have the same air sanderesque profile, the Deros even has a paddle.  Both are much better than the 390 as well.  I had a 390 when it first came out and own both the Mirka and the Festool now, I prefer the Mirka but it is more expensive than the Festool.  

18 minutes ago, Chet said:

What do you do for dust collection then.

If he isn't using it on a downdraft table or in a hurricane I imagine his lungs do a decent job of filtering the air.  ;)

The problem with plugging the hole is it reduces the efficacy of the paper and reduces its lifespan.  Even on a downdraft table or outdoors you should leave the hole open.  Dust collection on a sander is not just to save our pulmonary systems.  

On 7/21/2018 at 9:59 PM, ramonajim said:

The 390 was discontinued by PC a few years ago; the current corded model is 332.  I considered it, but found it clumsy to hold and the online reviews are pretty consistently bad.

The 332 was a standard tall brushed sander, nothing like the brushless 390 in ergonomics.   I think the 332 is gone now as well and the 382 is the only current corded ROS that isn't an "angle grinder" style.  

1 hour ago, j49 said:

I don' use pads with holes, it leaves swirls. I use a mask . Dust bags on sander only catch about 1/8 of the dust anyway. Pretty much worthless 

Not sure where you came up with that but the truth is just the opposite.  The vast majority of quality ROS used even in the most stringent finish industries will have holes in the pad and use mating paper or net abrasives.  The major exception is some air sanders made to be used wet.  The problem with lack of proper dust extraction (either via the sander itself via air injecting into one or more of the holes or proper dust extraction) is that the paper loads VERY quickly since the swarf is not being actively removed and you will get pigtails in short order.   You will burn through paper 4-5 times faster as well, partly due to loading and partly due to the increased heat associated with lack of proper air movement around the abrasive.  Try a quality ROS with proper extraction and you will see how long abrasives can last as well as significantly reducing the dust escaping into the air.  

11 hours ago, j49 said:

I don' use pads with holes, it leaves swirls. I use a mask . Dust bags on sander only catch about 1/8 of the dust anyway. Pretty much worthless 

My experience is just the opposite. I've used discs without holes & they get hotter, the grit clogs faster & they don't last near as long. I have an ancient Dewalt ROS that probably only catches 3/4 of the dust, but my Bosch ROS65 catches just about all the dust. I get no pigtails with either sander if I'm using discs with holes. 

On 7/21/2018 at 9:07 PM, K Cooper said:

I bought it a year or so ago at the recommendation of a member on here and really like it. The only draw back is the dust collection. I recently bought the ETS 150 (6” disc) and have used it once, but would probably trade it for another 390. I might change my mind though after I go thru the 150 sanding disc that I bought with it, hopefully,  after the $$$ I paid for it. The 390 is so much lighter. 

Coop, If you aren't using it with a variable dust dust collection, you are not using it to the full potential. I have some gripes about the ft sanding system but it is by far the best option I've found. 

That sander looks an awful lot like the dewalt that is currently out the DWE6421K.

I like my festool ETS EC fitting the hand isn't really an issue because you don't really need to hold it much, just guide it. That being said all sanders stink imo i'd rather run a smoothing plane.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

That sander looks an awful lot like the dewalt that is currently out the DWE6421K.

I like my festool ETS EC fitting the hand isn't really an issue because you don't really need to hold it much, just guide it. That being said all sanders stink imo i'd rather run a smoothing plane.

The 390 doesn't share much with the 6421, the 6421 has more of an ETS profile (makes sense it is brushed) and the 390 has more of an ETC EC profile since it is also brushless.

If you are always sanding in the center of large panels form factor is less of an issue, you could guide the sander with the cord if you liked.  When you are close to edges, sanding narrow stock (rails and stiles for example), sanding vertically (like on edges) or upside down (bottom of shelves) the size/shape of the brushless sanders allows for better control.  Form factor is one of the reasons people with air sander backgrounds have always hated electric sanders.  

Yeah my #4 doesn't work upside down very well either. I usually just flip the work piece over. I've started to do a lot more pre-assembly finish prep as well.

If I've learned anything in today's world of idocy. If you like something buy 3 of them because some marketing yahoo is going to force change down the engineers throats for nothing other than to change a model number so they can jack the price up. There are, for some reason, few companies that are confidant to let a good product run. Sony for example hasn't changed the MDR-v6 headphones in nearly 35 years. 8 years back Logitech made an awesome mouse i loved so i bought 3 of them. After they were discontinued their new in box price shot up to $300 on ebay which made me wonder why they were discontinued.

I may sound like an old crumedgon that is resistant to change but that's not true. I love change when it's for improvements sake.

15 hours ago, j49 said:

Would you please provide any credible source that corroborates this statement?  

The holes in the pads have nothing to do with the swirl marks. Every orbital sander has the chance of that happening when used improperly. Build-up of crap on one side of your sanding discs tilting the other side into your board is going to be one of your biggest offenders of this and using non hold sanding discs just make it worse because you have nowhere for all that loose medium to go.

I love the sharing of ideas and opinions but making a statement of fact that is clearly opinion that goes counter to all other evidence at this point kind of raises some questions.

3 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I've found the EC to be a little swirl prone on the back end if I let the hose put pressure but seriously, couldn't agree more. 

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

something buy 3 of them because some marketing yahoo is going to force change down the engineers throats for nothing other than to change a model number so they can jack the price up.

This has proven to be a very effective business model. Look at Nike, they have trained their loyal customers to do exactly that - buy up several pairs before they are discontinued. Then re-release the same item with different colors and the same people will buy several more pairs.

Woodpeckers is also doing something similar with their OTTs. If a $150 square is always available, people will think long and hard before shelling out for it. But if it's only available right now, for a limited time, they take advantage of people's FOMO.

The PC 390 and DeWalt D26456 look to be the same profile. Not sure how much you're willing to spend but there's one on eBay-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DeWalt-D26456-5-Inch-Corded-Low-Profile-Random-Orbit-Sander/253778139437?hash=item3b165b192d%3Ag%3AXQMAAOSwg2FbWeJq&_sacat=0&_nkw=D26456&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

6 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Coop, If you aren't using it with a variable dust dust collection, you are not using it to the full potential. I have some gripes about the ft sanding system but it is by far the best option I've found. 

I used it with my new Festool Vac, whatever model they go by, and it is variable speed. It like getting new teeth, just have to get use to it:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, K Cooper said:

I used it with my new Festool Vac, whatever model they go by, and it is variable speed. It like getting new teeth, just have to get use to it:rolleyes:

Give it a bit, in 6 months of you don't like it, I'll trade you for your preferred PC: )

8 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I've found the EC to be a little swirl prone on the back end if I let the hose put pressure but seriously, couldn't agree more.